Anyone using Virtual Dub?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andre F, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I'm a total newbie (yes, I've checked out VCDhelp.com) and wondering if the files I'm capturing should be as big as they are. For about 11 minutes of video the file was well over 500mb. I'd appreciate any help, thanks.

2. Peter D

Peter D Stunt Coordinator

The file sizes of raw captured video tends to be gigantic. I haven't captured via Virtual Dub (it doesn't support DV capture), but I use it to work with avi's captured elsewhere. You need to remember to select compression from the video menu to pick a codec (and full-processing mode then compression in the audio menu to do the same). Using MPEG4V2 for video and MP3 for audio, I've compressed a 45 gigabyte video down to under 500 megs.

3. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

The MPEG compression I get thru VirtualDub is approximately 10Mb/per minute. These are also VCD compliant.

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Hey Andre, did you buy that DVC80 you said you were getting?

5. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

It depends on what codec you're using and the frame size/rate. If the codec is one where every frame is independent (all key frames) like Huffyuv or some flavor of MJPEG, then at a full frame, 500MB for 11 minutes is on the small side. (DV is 2GB for about 9-1/2 minutes.) For MPEG, it's in the ballpark for MPEG-2, but high for MPEG-4 (although there are many variables).

//Ken

6. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

7. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Hows it working out? Did you have any trouble with the audio capture?

8. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

9. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I haven't captured anything for awhile, so i dont know if i can answer everthing.

1. CaptureStudio to capture, also winVCR demo
    2. Camcorder and VCR
    3. Not sure of file sizes. I've tried converting directly to DivX before (i have one file thats 5:11 long and is 7.28MB), it worked, but not the best way to do things
    4. I havent made VCDs, so i just keep it in DivX.

Sorry i couldnt be more helpful

10. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

I use a codec called HuffYUV for lossless capturing. It gets 2.5:1 - 3.0:1 compression ratios. It's still not MPEG-2 level compression, but it's also not lossy like MPEG-2.
    If I'm creating a DVD I capture to this first, do all my processing in VirtualDub then after all that is done compress it down to MPEG-2. It still takes up hordes of space (~500MB/minute @ 720x40x30fps), but it's better than raw. [​IMG] Plus, I can do it in real time on my P4 with many CPU cycles to spare.
    -Aaron