What's new

Anyone Using VA Medical Benefits? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I’m a vet, 1968-1971. I’m on medicare but that doesn’t cover hearing, so I’m wondering if the VA will help me. I’ve never used my VA benefits. I wen’t online to start the process and part of the process asks for income information which leads me to believe that means testing is involved. I didn’t go farther.

We are not poor, but we can’t afford the $4K and above that a pair of hearing aids would cost, hence the interest in the VA.

Thoughts, anyone?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I’ll ask my dad tomorrow. He served over 30 years (late 60s until 2003) and uses the VA. He got hearing aids about 10 years ago (he’s 71 now) but I’m thinking the VA paid very little if any.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I’ll ask my dad tomorrow. He served over 30 years (late 60s until 2003) and uses the VA. He got hearing aids about 10 years ago (he’s 71 now) but I’m thinking the VA paid very little if any.
Thank you for asking. That would be a bummer if the VA doesn’t cover hearing aids.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I’ll admit I’m unfamiliar with how VA benefits are awarded. After reading that article it’s clear that just having a hearing deficiency isn’t enough. If a person can function in day-to-day life, which I can, forget the hearing aides.

Might as well go through the process -- worst thing they can do is say no and possibly they have/know about some other option.
It's been decades since I worked in a VA Hospital, but I think a lot of it is still dependent on your local VA. Some facilities are beyond top notch, others are the pits.

Not sure if you are close to Little Rock, but if you are near enough to the Medical School (or one of their outreach clinics) you might contact them and see if they have any programs open - some schools have Audiology/ENT programs which can be quite helpful and often have programs designed for Veterans or Seniors.

This seems to be promising though very light on details. The Costco option is still expensive, but 50% discount seems like a good start
https://www.consumerreports.org/hearing-aids/ways-to-spend-less-on-a-hearing-aid/

Another option if you have milder hearing loss and no nerve injury, but some of these PSAP are junk and some have the potential to be quite helpful
https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-2017/inexpensive-hearing-aids-safe-fd.html

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Might as well go through the process -- worst thing they can do is say no and possibly they have/know about some other option.
It's been decades since I worked in a VA Hospital, but I think a lot of it is still dependent on your local VA. Some facilities are beyond top notch, others are the pits.

Not sure if you are close to Little Rock, but if you are near enough to the Medical School (or one of their outreach clinics) you might contact them and see if they have any programs open - some schools have Audiology/ENT programs which can be quite helpful and often have programs designed for Veterans or Seniors.
I am close to Little Rock. which medical school are you referring to?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I am close to Little Rock. which medical school are you referring to?
UAMS is the only medical school in the state that I know of. They also share resources with the VA (or they used to anyway).

I was out of pocket all day and didn’t get a chance to talk to my dad about how much (if any) the VA covered his hearing aids.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks