Anyone using their HTPC for digital slide shows?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Bardon, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

My dad just got himself a digital camera, and he's excited about being able to use his laptop to show slideshows on the TV (rather than having to set up slide projector etc). Since I've never really experimented with photo catalog software, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what to look for. I'd like to try to find him something that can store pictures and descriptions, as well as allow you to view photos full screen in a slide show format. The ability to search all photo descriptions for a certain word or phrase and assemble a slide show from there would be nice as well (I know it's not that hard to do...)

Any suggestions? I know that Windows XP has some built in stuff, but I need something that'll run standalone on Win 2000.

2. Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West Supporting Actor

Would powerpoint work?

3. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

In theory, yes, but it would mean manually setting up each slide. Something that would be more of a database solution would be much better, and I'm sure that something exists.

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

There is a pro piece of software called Cumulus. One of the departments where I work uses it, but it's a pro application for publications that need to catalog thousands of photos- and I don't think it's cheap (They spent like $1500 on the server application and $100 per 5 for the user app). Might also be MAC only. I saw some people at Le Cirque du Soleil also use this application for their materials as well.
    Some other publications I've seen use Portfolio from Extensis, IMatch, CompuPic or ThumbsPlus Galleries.
    Some digital cameras come with cheap solutions like FotoStation (which might actually be okay for the limited stuff he wants to do), but I've seen a few places actually using FotoStation Professional for pro level work...
    These are mostly professional database applications that allow catalogging, slideshows and thumbnailing along with keyword searches, sorting, date and location queries, etc, etc, etc. These will solve the problem- but it's a question of what he wants it to do vs how much he wants to spend!
    -Vince

5. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

ACDSee is a great app that has a silde show feature in it. He can even download a demo to try out first.

Dean