What's new

anyone using the samsung hd-841 (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
if so, just curious as to your impressions.

the folks over at avs are giving some random impressions. some say it works fine, but a lot report lockup issues during loading.

it has dvi, but no faroudja dcdi chip. it also includes multi-channel music (sacd/dvd-a) capability.

while a good deal at about 200 bucks, i wonder if it will be worth waiting for the hd-941 -- which includes the faroudja chip, hdmi, discrete remote codes, and some other stuff....

Scott*B

Stunt Coordinator
I've used it for about 24 hours. Watched 2 DVD's and have had no problems whatsoever so far (knocks on wood). I haven't tested the multi-channel stuff and probably never will. I was after a upconverting DVD player that I could purchase at a B&M for possible return policy issues. BB has never gave me trouble returning anything so this was the logical player for me. The remote control sucks big time. It barely works unless you're pointing it right at the player and from a short distance. Other than that I'm happy. The picture quality is good, slightly better than my Denon 910.

TomCeckitti

Auditioning
i just purchased one today. got a good deal on it at best buy. i guess they opened 2 of them for display and only used 1, so i got the other, repacked and resealed but with an open item price of 179.99 instead of the 199.99 asking price. i havent hooked it up yet since im in the process of moving all my HT equipment into another room that im dedicating to a HT. i hope to have it running in the next day or so, and ill post my opinion of it. i also picked up a few SACDs to try out on it as well. Goodbye yellow brick road, Dark side of the moon, and Journey's Escape.

BTW, in case anyone is interested, im replaceing a Toshiba SD-4900 with the Samsung hd-841.

TomCeckitti

Auditioning
i just purchased one today. got a good deal on it at best buy. i guess they opened 2 of them for display and only used 1, so i got the other, repacked and resealed but with an open item price of 179.99 instead of the 199.99 asking price. i havent hooked it up yet since im in the process of moving all my HT equipment into another room that im dedicating to a HT. i hope to have it running in the next day or so, and ill post my opinion of it. i also picked up a few SACDs to try out on it as well. Goodbye yellow brick road, Dark side of the moon, and Journey's Escape.

BTW, in case anyone is interested, im replaceing a Toshiba SD-4900 with the Samsung hd-841.

Randall Z

Stunt Coordinator
There is a rather large thread over at AVS Forum detailing the many problems that people have had with this player. From audio dropouts to discs getting stuck in them to the unit just not working. I came close to picking up one myself, but that thread scared me away for good.

AVS Samsung HD841 Thread

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
I hear ya randall!

also, most people have component sets and not DVI so I dont understand the push for DVI and HDMI. no use for these players over component makes it hard to sell these to the mass. they got to do something so people can use these players on their existing sets. seems to be no problem using cable HDTV over component so why arent these manus making these players compatible for upconversion over component ? I want an upconverting player with SACD/DVD-A that will also work upconverting over component.

TomCeckitti

Auditioning
well i have been using mine now for about a week and the only problem i have is that the remote has very bad range. you pretty much have to point it straight to the front of the player.

other then that, its working perfectly. the DVI output looks outstanding, and the SACD sounds beautiful!

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thx for the info guys. after all is said and done, i think i'm gonna hold off on this one.

i really want one with the faroudja chip, so i may look into the upcoming 941. in addition, it seems there is about to be a rash of upconverting players, so i think there will more to choose from shortly.

in case anyone is curious, the 841 did okay in the latest shootout.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...msungDVD-HD841

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
A buddy of mine at work picked one up last week, and said he had some problems with it over component to a standard TV. I recommended the new Pioneer universal as he was locked into having to buy from BB due to the extended warranty on his 2 yr. old DVD player. Said he likes the Pioneer (578?)on that set much better. However, he moved the Samsung upstairs to a smaller set, and that it looks much better. Not sure if it's over S-video or composite though.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
You may want to check out the most recent "Secrets" shootout info. The 841 got a suprisingly low score, although there isn't a writeup yet and they don't make clear what resolution they're using over DVI (although they state "DVI Default").

I have this player. Circuit City price-matched Sears (of all places) for $159, so I took the plunge.

Pic quality is great on my Samsung 61" DLP (HLN617W) using DVI. The HD841 does have issues with DTS formats: there are occasional brief (

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I had this problem with a Toshiba changer until the changer finally froze up and ate my disc. I hope you don't have these issues. I guess for $150ish you have to accept some issues like this but I don't see why we have to live with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks