Anyone using the large setting?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Haywood, Oct 3, 2001.

1. Haywood

Haywood Stunt Coordinator

I know that the correct method is to set everything to small but I would like to know how many people are using the large setting and why?
    Later Haywood [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Wood's Home Theater

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I have my speaker set to large mainly because my receiver has a "sub remix" setting on it that allows you to run the fronts to large and still utilize the sub in all listening modes.
    I've tried it both ways and I simply like the sound I get better with the fronts to large. It may be the "wrong" way to do it, but if it sounds good to me, I don't see that it matters.

3. Howard_A

Howard_A Stunt Coordinator

I have my amp on the large setting because I use full size three-way floor speakers for all of my channels including the center channel. I figured that would give me more accurate DTS playback despite the fact that my speakers are inexpensive.

4. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

To those running large, it would be interesting to see what your receiver and speakers are.
    ------------------
    --RR

5. Mike Sheahan

Mike Sheahan Stunt Coordinator

I use the large setting on my front mains because my receiver allows me to continue to send all LFE signals to the sub even with the mains set to large.
    This way my mains which go down to 37Hz aren't being crossed at 80Hz, and are receiving that extra sound that was meant to be sent to the right and left main speakers.
    I've tried it both ways, and I like the way it sounds for now. When I finally dig myself out from under the last upgrade cost, and buy that SVS sub I dream about at night, then I'll try it again with all of them set to small.
    My reciever is the Denon 3802, and my speakers are Klipsch RF-3's, RC-3, and two pair of RS-3's. And my sub is a Yammaha YSW-150
    [Edited last by Mike Sheahan on October 03, 2001 at 10:18 AM]
    [Edited last by Mike Sheahan on October 03, 2001 at 05:16 PM]

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    It's kind of a pain, but I like to use large for music (mains only) and small for HT. Music just sounds better when the speakers are running full range. I just blend in the sub and it sounds fine. I can also have my sub on or off, regardless of speaker size setting. Marantz SR6200 4 Paradigm Titans & CC-170.
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)

7. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

I'm running large, but maybe I shouldn't. I do have pictures on my web page of the speakers. Please let me know if I need to change my settings.
    I figured a small setting would be for satellite speakers.
    ------------------
    "I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
    My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html

8. Bruce Abar

Bruce Abar Stunt Coordinator

I use the Large setting in HT and Music. I have the PSB goldi's and these speakers have no problem with bass. I do have bass set to be sent to the sub and mains. I tryed both ways, and this way sounds the best.
    ------------------
    Bruce
    http://bruceabar.tripod.com/theabarshometheater/

9. Nick G

Nick G Stunt Coordinator

....I know that the correct method is to set everything to small....
    Not really. The correct method is to set your speakers so they sound best in your room with your particular set of speakers and sub. For my setup in a small room (11x13) with my speakers (Paradigm Studio 20s, Studio CC center, Atoms in the rear, HSU VTF2) it sounds best with the mains set to large for music with the sub crossed over at about 60HZ. For movies it sounds best with mains still at large, center and surrounds set to small and sub crossed over at 90HZ. I have tried setting the mains to small, but movie sound tracks just sound "fuller" or "richer" to me with them set to large. It is not a dramatic difference however and it still sounds darned good with them as small. Now if I were using small satalite speakers all around then it would be an entirely different matter. So, like alot of things it audio, the answer to whether or not to set speakers to large or small is "it depends". It depends on your speakers, sub, room acoustics and how it sounds best to YOU. Enjoy!
    Regards, Nick
    [Edited last by Nick G on October 03, 2001 at 12:40 PM]

10. Rob Dawn

Rob Dawn Stunt Coordinator

Brad:
    It comes down to how low your speakers can go. The closer they can get down to 20Hz, the better off you are to use the Large setting - and vice-versa.
    So if you set your receiver to Large and say your speakers only go down to 65Hz, you completely lose that sound from 20Hz to 64Hz. On the other hand, if you set them to Small, then that sound gets redirected to your subwoofer.
    I can pretty much guarantee that you should set your Sony Center and Surround speakers to small. Try your mains both ways and see what sounds better to you.
    (Hopefully you know where your receiver crosses-over when you set it to Small as well as the frequency response of all of your speakers so you can make an informed decision. But also listen to each to see what sounds better to you.
    I have a similar, but older, Sony speaker set-up as you and I have everything set to Small (even the 3 way tower mains) using my Sony SAWM40 sub for all the low frequencies.)
    Rob
    ------------------
    My Equipment

11. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I use 'large' and prefer the sound of it. I run Kef Q65 upfront, 200C centre and Q55 rears. Sub is a Boston VR2000. Though the Kefs cannot match the Boston for bass (either in volume or frequency), I just prefer the sound of the system in this configuration. Plus I run a Millennium DTS decoder which means my DTS signals can only play in 'large' anyway.

12. Nick G

Nick G Stunt Coordinator

....So if you set your receiver to Large and say your speakers only go down to 65Hz, you completely lose that sound from 20Hz to 64Hz. On the other hand, if you set them to Small, then that sound gets redirected to your subwoofer...
    I think you are mistaken. At least thats not the way it works on my Onkyo 595. If my main speakers are set to large then the sub gets everything, full range, no cut off (or redirection) of any kind. If my mains are set to small the sub only gets sound less than 80Hz. The sub gets less info when set to small, not more. Which is as it should be as I understand things. One uses the subs internal crossover to fine tune the sub when using the "large" main speaker setting.
    Regards, Nick

13. SamRoza

SamRoza Stunt Coordinator

Setting your mains to small isn't the "correct" way. Setting your maions to large isn't the "correct" way either...
    What IS correct is setting your system up the way you like. I simply despise little cube speakers and love full-size speakers, so I set them all to large. My sub still works 100%, not problems with music, or movies, DTS, or DPL or DD.
    Like Nick said, my Pioneer Elite works just the same. I actually lose quite a bit of sub if set to small. I like bass, and I like my mains to perform as they can and should.
    I have JBL S310s in the front, an ARC2 Center from Acoustic Research, and JBL S38s for the rear channels, and a big AR sub for the lows. These are all driven by a Pioneer Elite VSX-26TX Receiver.
    Sam
    [Edited last by SamRoza on October 03, 2001 at 03:00 PM]

14. ken thompson

ken thompson Second Unit

I dont understand how you could lose bass info. when set to small. Are you running your mains out from your sub or are they connected directly to the receiver with the sub connected to "LFE out" When talking about these kinds of set up issues doesn't how the speakers are connected and interconnected yield widely varying results.

15. John Morton

John Morton Stunt Coordinator

I've tried my system every way possible and prefer them all on small. This was Vince M's recommendation, and it helped me. I say experiment and use whatever sounds best to you though!!
    The reason you MIGHT lose sound with all speakers at small is because not all bass effects are on the LFE track and not all bass effects are in all 5 speakers. Also, not all receivers are created equal. My Sony DB-930 either sends the sub-cut bass to the large set speakers OR to the LFE. My speakers are rated down to 35, but realistically play reference to about 50. If I leave the receiver set to large, I don't hear the proper volume level of bass below 50 that was put in the mains, rears, or center, and not in the LFE channel. Conversely, if I set the reciever to small, then all sub-cut bass is sent to the LFE.
    In other words, the tones are sent, but the main 5 speakers can't play them loud enough to hear them. Set the main 5 to small and the LFE takes over.
    In my particular case, this made a substantial impact on SOME DVDs. On other DVDs, it made no difference at all. It just depends on how the soundtrack was recorded.
    I will say that setting the speakers to small seemed to also cause a "void" or less "fill" to music. After a ton of experimentation, I ended up moving the fronts closer together (from 9' apart to 8' apart) and closer to the wall (now at 4" instead of 10"). Now I've got great fill and way stronger HT effects.
    Also, my dad used to prefere his systems with all set to small except his rears, which he liked at large because this helped to better fill the room with bass (with sub in front right). Now that he has way plenty of sub, he prefers them all set to small. By the way, this sounded like crap for me, so I think it was mostly his room.
    I have a Sony db-930 receiver, Sony 650 dvd player, Infinity RS-5s in front AND rear, Infinity cc-3 center, and an Infinity HPS-1000 sub.
    My dad has a Sony db-930 receiver, Sony 660 dvd player, Infinity RS-4s in front AND rear, Infinity CC-3 center, and an Infinity HPS-1000 sub.
    We both used to have Infinity HPS-500 subs. The HPS-1000 fills in much better!!
    ------------------

16. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

If you haven't seen this lengthy thread, you might find it of interest in discussing large vs small settings.
    ------------------
    --RR

17. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I have not gotten into the extensive testing stage yet, but I may also join the fronts=LARGE camp. I was complaining about the xover setting on my receiver, and I'm not sure what I will do. On first inspection, setting the fronts to small for music and using the subwoofer sounds ok. Setting the fronts large also sounds good. So far neither settings sounds poor and I'll learn which I like over time. My fronts go to 32 hz -3 dB, so its nice to hear them full range. I agree that the seamless sound below 100 hz is nice. I understand the subwoofer and speakers interact to boost and cancel various frequencies, but I can't say it sounds bad yet. I will play with sub level and sub placement with the fronts as large and see how it goes.
    Happy listening. Trust your ears, but experiment and be open to others suggestions. Don't be afraid to try something new.

18. Myram

Myram Second Unit

I run my front 3 in the large setting, and my rear 4 in the small setting. My receiver powers the center, and 4 rear surrounds, and the amp powers the front 2 speakers.....so there is plenty of power for them to handle the bass. I have tried them set both ways, and also have the LFE going to both the sub and the speakers.......it is all a matter of taste.
    I am getting an SVS 25-31pc sub soon......so that might change my settings depending on the amount of bass it produces compared to the KSW12.
    Here is a list of my equipment so you can get an idea of what speakers are set to which setting -
    Klipsch Quartets - fronts
    Klipsch Academy - center
    Klipsch KG 1.5's rear surrounds
    Klipsch KG .5's - rear side surrounds
    Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer
    Denon AVR-4800
    Denon POA-5200 THX Amp(fronts)
    [Edited last by StevenH on October 03, 2001 at 06:27 PM]

19. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    2 DefTech BP2000tl's in the front, a CLR3000 for center, 2 BP2004tl's for the rears and another CLR3000 for the center rear. Sub is an SVS 16-46pc.
    Everything is set to large.
    ------------------
    "...better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it". - Slater, True Romance

20. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

Kenwood VR-2080 Receiver
    KLH AV5001 Tower loudspeakers(2) Front
    KLH 9912 Bookshelf (4) Center and Surrounds/Back
    All set to large.
    ------------------
    Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I am comfortable with that. I am enlightened.