Anyone using the H/K CDR20/30?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Clarke, Oct 11, 2002.

1. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Just picked up a CDR20 from HarmanAudio and I can't believe how good the CD play is on this machine. Haven't tried the record deck yet except for continuous two deck play but jeez the sound is very nice.

I always liked the audio from my JVC 70BK but now I'm a firm believer in separate CD players. Even though the CDR20 is a Player/Recorder the sound quality difference is certainly quite appreciable.

Anyone have one of these babies or had a similar epiphany?

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Paul, I have a CDR 30, but I rarely use it as a CD player. I bought it primarily for dubbing CDs. That said, it is a good CD player, considering the price and the fact that it is a dual-deck recorder. I have not used the CDR 20, but I imagine is a capable player as well.

By the way, H/K is coming out with the CDR 26 to replace the CDR 20 (the CDR 30 was discontinued many months ago). I am not really sure how the CDR 26 differs from the CDR 20. In taking a quick glance at the description of the CDR 26 on crutchfield.com, it looks just like the CDR 20. Perhaps H/K is just using new firmware.

3. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Hi Keith,
    Thanks for the response. I figured you might chime in here as it seems you've tried almost everything out there at one time or another. [​IMG]
    Back when the CE775 was being discontinued I thought long and hard about getting into SACD as well as upgrading the CD play quality. But as I already had the 70BK for DVD-A I really needed a recorder as my computer recording has been limited to whole copies but no compilation. I have to say I'm impressed with the sound of these H/K CDR's. The 30 has HDCD but I already have that in my 510 receiver so the 20 was all I really needed. I'll have to check out the 26 and see what was changed.
    Until the day I can justify the AH!, the CDR20 will just have to do. [​IMG]