anyone using receiver upconversion (to component)???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ted Lee, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi all -

just curious if anyone has a receiver that can upconvert all video connections to component?

if so, how do you like it, etc.

clearly, the main benefit would be simplicity in connecting various video sources, but i was just wondering if there was any "downside".

thx,

ted

ps, if it matters, i'm looking at the yamaha htr-5790

2. Nick.S

Nick.S Stunt Coordinator

I would also like to know if this works ok with minimal loss. My Yamaha 2400 should be here any day now so I will be testing it out, I will post my results.

Nick

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thanks nick. i'll be getting my receiver as soon as it comes into the store, so i'll try to post too.

4. Brian_Dunstan

Denon 3803. I've had mine for about a year and have been very pleased. I have component and s-video running into the receiver.....only need component coming out.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

nick - got everything hooked up ... and am quite happy with the quality of the upconversion and pass-through via the receiver.

the s-video signal (from my directv) looks fine when upconverted. the picture was never that great to start with, but i certainly do not see any loss or degredation of any sort.

i'll say the component pass-through is impressive. there's a very slight improvement via my dvi connection (dvd --> tv), but it's nominal. even using the component feed through the receiver yields a nice pic.

6. Nick.S

Nick.S Stunt Coordinator

I got my new receiver last Friday! (Yamaha 2400) I would agree the up conversion seems to work great! On the temp receiver I was using it only had composite-svideo conversion and it looked really really bad. I am using all svideo and component now. I am sure converting composite to component or svideo is not easy.

Nick.S

7. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

you guys realize that "upconversion" is a misnomer, don't you? it's really just a conversion. it can't make a signal better than what it started out as. direct connection is best when possible.

8. Nick.S

Nick.S Stunt Coordinator

Yes I realize this. Just using the terminology that is used in the specs. I just like using it so I don’t have to change my receiver and my tv when i switch from dtv-xbox-or dvd player.

Nick.S

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

but is the end result a "better" pic? kinda like using the samsung 931 which "upconverts" to 1080i?

even thought it's still a 480p dvd signal to begin with, the picture certainly looks better when upconverted.

does that kind of functionality work the same in a receiver?

10. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

no