Anyone using Radio Shack's digital sound meter?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Jim Mcc, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    When setting my 5.1 system speakers, should I set the meter to slow or fast? I know it's recommended to use slow with the analog meter. When I use the meter, there's a little variation up and down in the reading(How do you know what the true reading is? Any tips on using the digital meter would be great. Thanks

2. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    I have the RS digital also. I also use the slow with the Avia DVD. The goal is to have all the speakers with the same SPL, so I stay consistent and set them all to the high reading.
    Dave

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    They’re all true readings; if you had the analog meter the needle would be fluctuating up and down. This is because pink noise (I assume you’re using the receiver’s test tones for set-up) is not a static signal, it’s random, like program material is.

You can use drobbin’s recommendation for keying on the highest signal. It’s also fine to use the lowest. The important thing is to use the same method for setting all the speakers.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Thanks guys. I'm using the Sound & Vision calibration disc. I've got em all set now.