Anyone using Outlaw Audio 990/7125 combo?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Chris Rock, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

Until very recently, I'd never considered using separates. I always thought they'd be way outside my budget. After taking a look at OutlawAudio.com, I guess I've been wrong.

Anyway, I've been bitten by the upgrade bug and I'm working with a budget of up to $2000. I'm looking for at least 110 watts X 7 channels, and it would be great to also have HDMI/DVI video switching. At $1899, the Yamaha RX-V4600 meets those criteria, but I kind of like the idea having separate components.

It looks like the Outlaw 990 pre/pro has all the goods, and the 7125 amp has the power I'm looking for. I've read a thread here about the 990, and it looks really good.

According to Outlaw's site, the combo sells for $1898, with ground shipping around $95, so the total price is in my budget. The site also says that the 7125 is "coming soon".

Before I make any decisions, I'd like to hear if anyone has this combo, and what you think of it. Is the 7125 available yet? I went all the way through the ordering process (right before entering my credit card number), and there was no mention of the fact that the 7125 hasn't been released yet.

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Chris

The 7125 should be available any day. Your best bet on actual availability is to call Outlaw preorder and ask. They have a backlog so they are the only ones who can tell you the whole story.

John Menoni has ordered the combo I think. Ping him and see if he got it yet.

3. Chris Rock

Thanks for the response.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I personally think you can't go wrong with this combo. The amp is made by ATI (from an Outlaw design), and they certainly know what they are doing. Plus, both Outlaw and ATI amps are known to be rated very conservatively in terms of power output. I had a 950 for a little while, and really liked it. The 990 looks to be a worthy successor.

Lots more info available over at Outlaw's site. They have a separate forum there too for Outlaw owners and fans.

5. John Menoni

John Menoni Stunt Coordinator

Chris, I recieved the 990 about a week and a half ago. It is still in the box and I can't wait to get the 7125 amp and see what it sound like together. I always used recievers and I wanted to upgrade to a pre/pro amp combo. This system should totally kick ass. I'm going to be using an M&K 150 THX system with M&K 4 ohm speakers in the rear and a M&K 350 sub and a SVS PB12 plus 2 sub. I'm totally pumped to see what this system can do. At first I was planning to get the 950/7100 combo. Then Outlaw discontinued the 950 and introduced the 990. At first I was pissed then I realized it was worth it to spend an extra couple hundred bucks for the 990. I went to order the 990/7100 combo and then I found out the 7100 was discontinued. I almost went crazy at this point. I even started a thread here from my frustration. Then Outlaw promised me a B-stock if I really wanted the 7100. Outlaw first told me that they would have more 7100s in 30-45 days. I wasn't totally confident that they knew for sure. I was afraid that the 7100 would be totally discontinued and I would be screwed. Then I spoke with an Outlaw salesman on the phone. He was all set to sell me the B-stock 7100 with the 990, but he seemed like he was trying to tell me to just wait for the new one. I said, can you garuntee that you will be getting more of the 7100s or a replacement in the next month or so. He said yes so I said fine. I ordered the 990 just in case they would run out in the next month or so. He sent me an email saying that I wouldn't be dissapointed for waiting. At this point I was hoping that the 7100 would be upgraded in some way. I couldn't be more pleased. A state of the art pre amp with 190 watts into 4 ohms? That is an amazing deal for the price. I can't wait to get this whole system going. One thing I have to say is that Outlaw is top notch when it comes to customer service. I hope you decide to go with the 990/7125 combo. I have a feeling that you won't be able to touch that type of performance for far greater the price range of the 990/7125 combo.

6. Chris Rock

Thanks for the reply.

My biggest obstacle now is getting this past my wife. She knows we need something new, because we're moving into a new home and we're going to put a system in the bedroom, but she wants me to go cheap.

I'd like to move our existing receiver (Onkyo TSDX898) into the bedroom and get something new for the great room.

I'm going to be using all new speakers and sub, so I'd like to get something with enough power to drive them properly.
    I've got speakers from Aperion Audio and an SVS PB12 Plus/2.

Wish me luck on the fight with my wife. What's another 2 grand when you're already spending *coughs* thousand on carpet, window treatments, and furniture?

7. John Menoni

Good luck Chris. How do you like the SVS? I am going to be ordering one eventually to go with my M&K 350. I really feel like the Outlaw system is a no brainer for people who are under a tight budget. You can't get 190w Into 4 ohms and all the bells and whistles of the 990 without spending far more. I guess you could go with a high powered reciever but I like the idea of seperates. I should be getting my 7125 next week. I can't wait.

8. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Here's a few arguments I always use on my wife for a purchase: [​IMG]

1) I don't hit, am not an alcoholic, or a drug addict, I don't gamble, and I'm not on welfare.

2) I always get top dollar when I sell the component being replaced.

3) I always get the best deal I can on the new component.

4) She gets the benefits too in terms of the entire movie watching experience.

But sometimes I have to ante up some jewelry for her to sort of "even" things out. [​IMG]

9. John Menoni

Kevin, I've used just about all of those. I also say, "I don't have an expensive Hobbly like Golf or fishing." Then I turn it into one of your arguments by saying, "This is something the whole family can enjoy."[​IMG]

10. Chris Rock

I haven't used the new sub yet, in fact, I haven't even gotten it yet. We close on a new house on Friday (7/29). My new sub and speakers will be shipped the first week in August.

I usually win all the arguments about getting new stuff. This year alone I talked the wife into getting a new TV for the bedroom (46 Samsung DLP), and was successful in getting the green light for the new speakers and sub. I even told her that I spent 4 times the amount on the new sub (the SVS) that I did on our last sub (a cheapie JBL model).

11. Pete Gia

Pete Gia Stunt Coordinator

If you can spend that much,definitely go with separates. You could also go wuth a good used power amp,and save some bucks that way. There are nice used ones for sale all the time here-ebay-audiogon-etc. Good Luck-Pete

12. EugeneL

EugeneL Auditioning

I am also considering this combo pretty hard. I like John have a M&K THX system composed of 3x 125's across the front, 150 dipoles in the rear, and a 150 sub. Currently driving those with a Sony ES333 receiver with 80x5 watts. Was also looking at finding a used 950 and 750 amp combo, and also looking at doing a 1070/7125 combo for even more future flexibility.

13. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Eugene:

I have the 950/770 combo and love it. The only thing I would change out would be the 950 for a 990 because of the extra features it has and the upgradeability. For me the 990/7125 or the 990 with their monoblocks or the 990 with their up and coming 300 watt per channel power amp would be the way to go.

Parker