What's new

Anyone using only wireless phone service? (1 Viewer)

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
I'm thinking of cancelling our home phone and getting a wireless phone plan instead. I can get 1000 anytime minutes, unlimited pcs to pcs, unlimited night and weekends for $100 for two phones.

Has anyone done this? Is there anything that I should not overlook? I can save over $600 a year by doing this. As I'm typing this I just realized that my security and broadband service may be affected.

Thanks.

Michael.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I haven't had a standard telephone line in about two years and don't miss it a bit. The only problem I have had with solely using my cell phone has to do with my service- I have Sprint and use my phone in both Milwaukee and L.A. and can honestly say that I lose about 90% of my calls after talking for five minutes. That 90% figure is pretty accurate- I actually kept a log book because I'm so frustrated. Pretty soon I'm going to change to another provider, and I think I'm going to move over to Verizon.

Shane Bos

Second Unit
I have been using a wireless only for about 14 months now. I possibly may never have a land line phone in my lifetime

David-S

Second Unit
Your security system will probably be a problem, AFAIK they all are connected to a landline....

What broadband do you have? If it's DSL from your phone company,they may charge you more if you don't have a phone anymore...

You could try and cut down on your package...

Many companies offer a "line service" where you basically just have a dialtone, and either pay for calls, or have a limited # of local calls... around here that's just $15 a month, which is probably less than what you're paying now at least... you would still get incoming too...

and i've been "cut free" for essentially 2 years now... never have a problem really :D

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
ditto everyone else. I got a cable modem and ended my phone service long ago, works fine and I don't get telmarketer calls :)

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I'm considering dropping my land line as soon as I get broadband. I'm paying $27 for basic phone service, and $35 for PCS (with all the taxes and such). With the PCS I get 300 anytime minutes, and unlimited nights and weekends and unlimited PCS to PCS, plus I get portability, caller id, call waiting, three way calling, and voice mail which would all cost extra on the land line. I just can't see the advantage of the home phone, its just too damn expensive.

Scott have you had your phone checked? Sometimes they do firmware upgrades that could solve your problems. I get occasional dropped calls, particularly on the ground floor of my house, but nowhere near 90%.

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
I'd drop my landline in a minute if my cell phone had service anywhere near my house. Sadly, I have no service anywhere from 1-5 miles from my home, depending on direction. When my contract is up I will find a wireless provider that actually provides service and drop my landline.

Incidentally, I have AT&T wireless, and away from home my service has been excellent. Calls are rarely dropped, quality is typically good. I wouldn't even consider dropping AT&T if I had service in my neighborhood.

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys.

I did not get rid of my home line since Bellsouth has a program where you can consolidate your home, cell and dsl service and save some money. I was also able get two cell phones (free)and also saved $48.44 before taxes per month.

This saving will help off set my next upgrade:D

Todd K

Second Unit
I will not drop my land line in the forseeable future.

Cell phone quality is nowhere near that of a landline. And I wouldn't be anle to stand talking for hours on those pocket-sized things. I don't know why, I just need to hear the subtle nuances of a person's voice in a phone conversation, and those can sometimes be lost over a cell connection. Plus, if you have to wait on hold for something, you just sit there while the call sucks up your minutes. And then there is the issue of calls being dropped. Even if you never lose calls, sometimes the signal might get blocked and you don't want that happening on an important call. Just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks