anyone using old receiver to power shiva ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ShaneH, Jun 18, 2001.

1. ShaneH

ShaneH Stunt Coordinator

Anyone have experience with this method? I'm kind of hopeful that it will work since an extra amp would probably be enough to kill this project. Would any receiver be able to handle the 8 ohm load? 4 ohm load? Or just high current receivers? thx

2. Shade Watson

Shade Watson Stunt Coordinator

Shane,
    I have two matching Shiva based subs. They each are the 142.5L EBS alignment vented boxes.
    After I assembled the first sub, I powered it with an old Sony Pro Logic receiver (STR-D711). This receiver's main R/L amps are rated at 110 watts at 8Ohms. I wired each of the main channels of the receiver to a separate voice coil on the Shiva. This setup did not work well. Loud demanding bass passages would cause the receiver to shutdown. This would not happen at moderate volume, but what's the point of building your own sub if you can only use it at moderate volume?
    The next week I finished assembly on the second sub. I removed the Sony from my system, and use an old HK Pro Logic receiver (AVR 20II). This receiver's main R/L amps are rated at 60 watts at 8Ohms. I wired each of the main channels of this receiver to one voice coil on each sub. I am getting much better results this way. I calibrated my system, and turned up the power to the subs to above reference. I can now watch bass heavy movies at reference levels even with all speakers set to small without my amp giving out.
    I have not had the chance to get out the meter and graph the frequency response yet. I'll post the results when I do. I'm curious as to how much improvement I could get from a better amp. I'll also post some pictures once I get some veneer on these boxes.

3. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

I use a vintage 70's Kenwood KA8100 (75wpc) to power each individual coil on my AudioC LE10. It's works quite well and I have been able to get the amp to clip yet. You can see a pic of the amp if you follow the link in my sig. I got it for $100 off of E-bay... mainly becuase I really liked the way it looked. It is very heavy duty... weighing in at around 35lbs.
    ------------------
    -Jin
    My Theater

4. Darin H

Darin H Auditioning

I am using a 100wpc Sony to power my Shiva sonosub. I have each channel wired to its own voice coil. I have never had a problem with the receiver going into safe mode or turing off.
    Darin

5. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Same here. Works good, lasts a long time.

6. Paul_C

Paul_C Stunt Coordinator

I use a really old Sony reciever and have each channel wired to it's own voice coil. It is rated at 65 watts per channel. I have clipped it a couple of times but I set my limiter on my processor and it seems to be working ok. I will replace this with a real amp later.
    I did nothave to buy this reciever as I had it in a closet for years. Ya never know when old equipment might come in handy. [​IMG]
    Paul.

7. Dan_D

Dan_D Stunt Coordinator

hehe i thought i was the only one "ghetto" enough to do this. [​IMG] Altho i probably win. my old Sony reciever is pushing one JL 12w3 in a box meant for 2 12". The box is divided into 2 chambers so the airspace is right, it just has one emty hole. heh I plan to build a nicer home sub later.