Anyone using Netzero "high speed" internet?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Drew Bethel, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Ok, I'm still using dialup (yeah, boo and hiss all you want) and like the prices. Net Zero is apparently using some sort od caching(sp?) or downloading algorithm to speed things up for a meagre $14.95 per month. Any feedback is appreciated...

2. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    When I had dial up through www.GBROnline.com I tried their version of the same thing and didn't notice a bit of speed increase..waste of money IMHO.

I canceled and went DSL when I saw DSL prices start to fall in our area.

3. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

I used its sister service "Juno Speedband" for a while last summer. Yes, to me, it was noticeably faster, but....at a cost. The way it works is that Juno and Netzero use a data compression scheme to make the data upload faster. This comes at the cost of down turning the resolution of any graphics/photos on websites. Juno Speedband was adjustable though and you could choose to have low res graphics or regular. Switching to hi res graphics slowed the system way down. Other than that, it was faster. I cancelled when I upgraded to Cox Cables Hi-Speed Internet service as part of a sales package.

4. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Humorous note:

Someone local tried it. Interesting. It turned off the "download graphics" on webpages when enabled (Turbo mode!) which of course speeded up downloads (with no pictures) and when you enabled them, the pictures came down in terrible quality.. ie, JPEGs were shrunk from 26k images to say, 5k images, which left them very blurry and choppy.

Interesting idea, I guess [​IMG]

5. Mike Littrell

Just another gimmick to prey on the not-so-tech savvy

6. Bryan_K

Bryan_K Stunt Coordinator

Well i have earthlink & they use an accelerator. I have it set on the second to the lowest. (has 5 choices) When i turn it off, you defiantly see a performance slowdown. It says im getting 3.5 times speedup, i see that. (pages still look pretty)

Sure it ain't no cable, But for $22 & the limited surfing (i do not downloading songs, movies ect) it is better than paying 50+ for cable. (having your system open 24/7 for attacks) Till the prices of cable are eather government subsidized or prices come down. I'm happy.

[​IMG]