Anyone using Kenwood Sovereign receivers with 4 ohm speakers?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Aaron Gilbert, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Aaron Gilbert

Aaron Gilbert Second Unit

Hey folks! I am new to posting on this forum, but actually have been reading for a few years.

I have just ordered a Kenwood VR5090 at a deal too good to pass up. Kenwood gave me the usual manufacturer response via email, saying essentially 'We rate this unit into 6 ohm speakers, using anything lower can damage the receiver'. I guess I shouldn't have expected any different, though the last time I asked Kenwood about one of their amplifiers, they actually told me that it was stable into half the impedance at which it's rated. For that unit (KMX1000), their statement was that due to the THX certification, the amplifier had to be stable into 2 ohms. My use of it in bridged configuration into 4 ohms bears that out. No such luck with the VR5090, officially.

Anyhow, I just thought I would see if anyone is running the VR5080, VR5090, VR5700, or VR5900 with 4 ohm speakers. My gut tells me the units will have absolutely no problem at all, especially if all speakers are set to small, as mine will be. The only exception to this would be in straight stereo, but more and more I find myself using the subwoofer even in that case.

This is just curiosity more than anything. I'll be trying it out for myself once I get the unit, can't wait!

Cheers,

Aaron Gilbert

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Aaron,

If you don't get a response here, you might want to post your question over at the HomeTheaterSpot forum where there is a dedicated Kenwood forum.

3. Aaron Gilbert

Aaron Gilbert Second Unit

Ok folks, well I guess I'm answering my own question. I just got my VR-5090 today and hooked it up. I've been giving it the usual torture tests, Stars Wars Episode I and II, Fellowship of the Ring, now on to the Matrix, etc.. I guess I should sleep some time. [​IMG]

I AM only running three speakers off the receiver, those being the center and two surrounds. They are all four ohms though, and there are no problems. It runs slightly warm, but less so than my Sony STRDA30ES did, and that Sony is specifically rated into four ohms in all channels.

I honestly wasn't expecting a really big difference in surround processing, but have been really surprised. I don't know if it's the THX processing (definitely tames those bright soundtracks) or better quality amplifiers/preouts. But, the placement of effects, smoothness of panning, and level of detail in all channels is a significant improvement. And I haven't hooked up the SBL or SBR speakers, yet (still waiting for my five channel amp to come in). The one feature which totally RULES though, is the Bass Peak Level Manager. In the setup, the receiver will play a test tone, which sounds like white noise at maybe 150 Hz and below - or is that pink noise? Anyhow, you crank up the volume until your subwoofer just starts to overload, and the receiver saves that setting and will not send a signal higher than that to the subwoofer. I don't know how many other receivers have this type of feature, but wow is it useful! I have only had my subwoofer about four months and have been afraid to test it's limits for fear of overdriving it. Not anymore! I didn't know it could go that loud, hopefully my house won't fall apart. One more thing, the remote for this receiver is really well thought out and very easy to use. Setting up preprogrammed devices is even easier than my Universal MX-500, because the codes are built right into the remote. It's RF, too.

Anyhow, didn't intend for this to be a review. If anyone wants more information on this unit, ask away. They are going on eBay these days, new, for under $600 most of the time. Very nice receiver, though it is a couple years old.

Aaron Gilbert