Anyone using (if you have it) digital bass/time management on multichannel inputs?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by PaulDA, May 11, 2004.

1. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    If so, do you notice a sonic degradation vs. analogue bypass? I'm looking for a universal player but with all the bass/time management issues associated with each one, I've decided to go with my receiver's ability to do the management in the digital domain and take the added flexibility over the "pure" signal (unless it turns out to be total crap).

Just wondered if anyone else has tried this and what they found.

2. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Paul,
    Which receiver do you have? Most receivers do not do bass management on the 5.1 inputs.

I have a HK 525 and use the Pioneer 563a universal disc player. Since the bass management of the 563a is poor, I let the 525 do that work.

It sounds great! But I really do have anything to compare it to.

By the way, the 525 is being replaced by the new Sherwood/Newcastle P-965 tomorrow(it would be today..but got too much to do!).

3. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

I do just that with my Meridian 861v4, which does a very good job of sampling the analog output of my Philips SACD-1000.

Eventually, I'm going to spring for the $$$ to get a modified Pioneer player which will output SA-CD as 3x S/PDIF and feed that digitally into my 861. That's one I'll be cooking with gas [​IMG]

Cheers,

4. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Curtis,
    I have an Integra DTR 6.4 and it applies bass/time management by redigitizing the signal from the multichannel inputs. How well, I don't know yet, but I've been impressed with the DACs in my receiver when they work with my cheap DVD/VCR combo as a transport. My cds sounded much better than they did with my old receiver. Supposedly, I have eight Wolfson DACs (haven't "popped the hood" yet) good for 24/192, so I guess I can't ask for more for the 800$ or so I paid.

John,
    I'm curious, will you have to add s/pdif inputs that are somehow linked in your Meridian to do this? Also, how much for such a mod? Ballpark of course, I don't want to hold anyone to a price, just curious.