Anyone Using Dell Axim Pocket PC?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Chuck C, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I'm thinkin of picking one up (specifically the X50v)for my planning and organizing needs...anyone have opinions/experience with this type of handheld? other recommendations?

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

No experience with them (unfortunately), but I've been thinking about picking one up too. I noticed on Dell's website that one of the x50 models comes with a GPS setup which would be pretty sweet.

3. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

I ordered an X50v last Friday, but haven't received it yet. It's supposed to ship tomorrow so I'll post my initial impression once I receive it.

4. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I just ordered the X50v (ok, so I got impatient with seeking opinions). I will also post my impressions once it arrives. According to aximsite.com and cnet.com, the X50v is pretty sweet with the most common complaints being the so-so battery life and delay in the graphics due to the high-resolution

5. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I have a X3 since April and have no complaints. Lately I have had a hard time connecting to Wireless networks but it is not something I have spent a lot of time on.

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I just ordered a 50v, too (couldn't pass up a great online deal). Mine should arrive later this week. I guess we can all learn together. [​IMG]

7. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

I have a similar machine, the Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket LOOX 720. It's also a VGA Pocket PC.

I'm thrilled with it. Been using Pocket PC's for a while but only recently got the VGA resolution and communcations enabled Loox and it's like night and day.

There is a lot of really good software out there for these machines. Good sites to visit:

http://www.firstloox.org - yes, Loox-centric but good VGA PPC info applicable to any machine too. Nice forum.

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/ - good PPC news site

http://www.brighthand.com - good generic mobile site with good discussion forums.

http://www.infosyncworld.com - good generic mobile site

As for planning and organizing - the VGA aware Pocket Informant 5 is pretty darn nifty for that, massively better than the built-in organizing apps. Definitely test-drive it, at least.

http://www.pocketinformant.com

8. Scott Merryfield

I also found the following site dedicated to Axim Pocket PC's:

www.aximsite.com

9. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I've had my X50v for a week now, and I love it! I've definitely cruised aximsite.com for great expertise and opinions.

10. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

I have had the Original X5 since it came out. nice unit, altho 2 big, it is still nice.
    Suggested my CFO order the new X50v as he was in need of one. VERY nice unit and he loves it.
    Dell AXIMS are the best bang for buck in PDA market.
    I would get the new one if I could find someone who would pay $200 for my current one :)

11. Scott Merryfield

Has anyone with a new Axim X50v had problems with the unit powering on? After mine sits idle for awhile (either docked or not) it will not always turn on. Sometimes a soft reset will turn it on, but other times I have to remove and replace the battery to get the unit to turn on.

...and before anyone asks, the lock button is not on. [​IMG]

Anyway, this appears to be a common problem according to an ongoing thread at www.aximsite.com . I called Dell tech support this morning, and they will be shipping me a new X50v.

12. ShelbyB

ShelbyB Stunt Coordinator

I have a X30H and I love it, can't live without it. My one suggestion is that you get SPBPlus. Its a home screen program that really makes it much easier to use. Without it I would hate my PPC. Like the X50, the battery life is pretty short.

13. Dan Mercier

Dan Mercier Stunt Coordinator

Check out Tomshardware guide In the review they compare the 50v to some ipaq's. For me the winner would be the hp 7315 for the nice battery life. (price is an issue still though so I'm sticking with my old handspring visor pro 16mb monochrome)

Have fun with your toy.
    Dan