What's new

Anyone Using D-VHS? (1 Viewer)

MichaelOD

Stunt Coordinator
just curious...

i'm considering purchasing a player [JVC HM-DH30000U], and i'm looking for some feedback on the player and the format.

is it worth the investment if your looking for a makeshift HD solution?

thanks in advance for any responses!

Marc Carra

Supporting Actor
Makeshift HD solution? It IS an HD solution. I use my JVC 30K every day to timeshift my favorite HD programs. I also record and archive the latest HD movies like LOTR:Two Towers. While most people are watching Two Towers on DVD, I'm watching my HD version on my JVC30K. If something ever happens to the tape, I have all of my HD tapes backed up on my PC, ready to restore to a new tape. Sure HD DVD is coming, but I'm watching and recording HD RIGHT NOW. I absolutely love my JVC30K!!!

PS: Did I say how much I love my JVC30K :)

Marc.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I love mine too, but I'm using it just for SD digital recording since I don't have a source device with Firewire output yet. Even in the lowest quality digital mode (LS3), the copy is virtually indistinguishable from the original. You get hours and hours of recording onto one tape too.

I haven't seen a single D-Theater movie yet, but I plan to pick some up soon.

Albert Noel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Noel
Marc,

where abouts did you purchase your unit and could you tell me a ball-park figure on the price?

(cornwall huh? i'm not far away :D)

Marc Carra

Supporting Actor
Albert, I purchased mine in Kanata. The store was blowing them out at $599CAD! Brand new, not a refurb. Then I ordered another unit (a refurb) from Ecost.com for $249US. I haven't recieved the refurb unit yet, but I'm told they are just like new.

If you are down in Cornwall sometime, you are welcome to come by for a demonstration.

Marc.

Albert Noel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Noel
Marc, $599 doesn't seem like such a bad price at all. guess i'd have to see one in action first to be totally sold on it.

i appreciate the offer for the demo, i may have to take you up on that sometime! :emoji_thumbsup:

MichaelOD

Stunt Coordinator
man...i wish someone here in Winnipeg could demo a JVC 30K for me!

marc, you're really stoking the flames...i am now very likely to purchase one...

i called it makeshift, because D-VHS is not a standard format; it currently does not have mass market appeal. but who cares...it is HD @ home now, on a recordable media, so...

ecost eh? i've been checking ebay, and have come across some good prices, but almost all sellers are only willing to ship to the US.

anywhere else other than ecost.com with good prices?

Michael Cucka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Cucka
The D-Theater releases are the most stunning example of video/sound quality to date - not even the best DVD master can touch it!

It's not a format choice for those whole like extras, scene-jump, etc. But, if you like to just sit and watch a movie in the best presentation you can at this time, you won't be disappointed in D-VHS :D

Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks