Anyone using an RTA to set up eq of room?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Karl_Luph, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

Just curious if anyone is using one of these puppies. I noticed a number of soundmen use the DOD RTA in their rack to set up a room.

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I use the following with a PC and my trusty Radio Shack meter:

http://www.etfacoustic.com/

Long story short though: I use a BFD for my sub. Very happy. I got a 2 ch analog eq for my mains, thinking that I'd eq their bottom end as well. But try as I might, I simply could not get eq'ed mains + eq'ed sub to measure as flat as just an eq'ed sub...

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Karl,

The RTAs soundmen use in their racks are usually 1/3-octave. While they can be very useful, it’s the general consensus around here that they don’t have a fine enough resolution for setting up subs.

I have an AudioControl RTA, and it did a good job helping me equalize my mains. I thought it did good for my subs, too, but when I ran individual 1/6-octave test tones I found I had narrow peaks and valleys between the 1/3-octave frequencies that the RTA couldn’t “see.”

Although I haven’t used them, these day software-based RTA programs are the way to fly. They have much finer resolution than pro-audio units.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt