What's new

Anyone using an 77' - 82' analog tuner? (1 Viewer)

Joe Bauman

Stunt Coordinator
I have been interested in the older analog tuners such as Pioneer, Kenwood, or Sansui for roughly 77 - 82. Anyone using one now? How do you like it compared to current tuners?

All related in put on analog tuners would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I had a Kenwood KT-5700 (?), have an old Realistic rec. in the garage(STA-2000??), and an old HK receiver in the weight room, all analog, all work great.

The Kenwood and HK seem(ed) to be more sensitive, and sound less harsh than the tuner in my HK AVR110. The tuner in my Yammy mini system (pianocraft, baby's room) beats them all, though.

- CM

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I just bought a Kenwood KT-7000 on eBay. From everything I've read, these vintage analog tuners sound as good as modern digital tuners, some think they sound better. I used a 70's Pioneer receiver as a radio and phono stage for a while, and I really liked the sound of that unit.

Steve G

Agent
Hello. I think I used just about every tuner of that era.They included the Pioneer model TU 9100 and 9500 along with the matching amps which were the SA 9100-9500. Also the Kenwood, Yamaha 800 series and Marantz. While I can't think of those model numbers off the top of my head they were all great combinations. And while my memory tells me they were much better than the tuners today,its possible that I listened more back then because the "MUSIC WAS BETTER".;) MY favorite all time tuners were in a couple of Luxman receivers I had back then. These were all analog too Joe.
I had a good friend who had a SEQUERRA tuner back then. It was like the ultimate tuner of its day.It also went for something like $2500 of 1970's money.
Well sorry for ramblin on,but it's like trip down memory lane for me.:D
Steve

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It’s getting increasingly hard to find a really good tuner any more, especially from the Japanese companies. I think Onkyo might still have one – Yamaha dropped their excellent TX-950 a couple of years ago. I think the others ditched theirs years ago.

If you’re comparing those old stand-alone analog tuners to what passes for a tuner in modern receivers, the old guys blow away the late model stuff just about every time.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Larry B

Screenwriter
Wayne:

It’s getting increasingly hard to find a really good tuner any more...
Actually, Magnum Dynalab makes superb tuners, but they are quite expensive.

I use an Arcam tuner (MSRP in the neighborhood of $600) with which I am pleased.

Larry

Joe Bauman

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the feedback so far.

I just love the looks of the old tuners like the Pioneer TX-9500 and am trying to buy on on ebay. Unfortunetly most of them are too expensive for me to take the ebay "As is" gamble.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks