Anyone using a Radeon 8500 with the component adapter?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad Bissell, Jun 29, 2002.

1. Brad Bissell

Brad Bissell Extra

Just curious if anyone is using the ATI Radeon 8500 with the new component adapter? If so, how is the quality for DVD and games?

2. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

I'm not: I got an All-In-Wonder 7500 instead of an 8500. Will they make a component adapter for the 7500's??

3. Brad Bissell

Brad Bissell Extra

Looks like it is only for the 8500 boards including the AIW. I guess it reprograms the ramdacs to output the right resolution/frequencies.

4. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

How do you guys like the 7500/8500 ?? I just started snooping around for a video card. I have a Dell Dimension XPS T500, and just upgraded to XP Pro. The old DVD accelerator (an QI card) is not XP compatible (I beleive QI is no longer in business, W98 was last driver available) so I just removed it. PIII 500 is perfectly adequate in playing PowerDVD, but I do miss not having the SPID out from the old QI card. I think the Radeons are the only ones that I saw that have SPID out from their card. Comments or other suggestions are welcome.

5. Brian Ruth

Steve -- I like my AIW for the TV and DVD, but its VERY lackluster with regards to games. Its about the same speed as my old card, which was a GeForce 256. Still, you DO get a neat wireless remote (RF) and a TV tuner. If you can get the AIW 8500 for less than $350, its worth considering.

6. Tim Kilbride

Tim Kilbride Stunt Coordinator

On the same subject...have any of you guys use the 'Tivo' type function? If so, what do you like/dislike? Does it actually work like it says it does?

Thanks
    Tim K.

7. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

I have a Radeon 8500. How/where can I get a component adaptor for it??? Thanks..

8. GaryAR

GaryAR Agent

here's a question i can't get an answer for:

if i have the component adapter, can i scale at 16:9 1080i signal to fit on an svga monitor at 800x600 (basically, change the aspect ratio from 16:9 to 4:3)? if the answer is yes, i'll get this card in a second.

thanks
    -gary

9. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

Tim, I have personally made the decision not to go with AIW (see also the 7500 thread), however during my research (so these are not first hand), I did notice that the Tivo function seemed mediocre. If you go to EBay, there may still be a 8500DV for sale that the owner only used it for a month and decided that his real Tivo works much better.

10. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Josh, on the page for the 8500 or 8500DV, on the right side is a link to the adapter; on that page, there's a link to buy it. Fill in the info on your card, and it takes to a page for accessories, including the adapter, which is $29. I've read that it will not allow you to upscale Macrovision-protected 480i stuff, which includes most DVDs.
    Gary, you probably wouldn't use the component adapter to output to a monitor. (TVs use component and monitors use VGA, although there's certainly some models with both.) The HDTV cards on the market output to VGA, which should include 800x600. The lowest I ever went was 1024x768. (They look much better at their native 1920x1080 or 1280x720 at 16:9 of course.)
    //Ken

11. Brian Ruth

I've used the AIW for video capture (Tivo type stuff) and I'm pretty happy with it.
    I prefer my AIW over a Tivo anyday -- DVD quality picture, upgradeable storage, and no monthly fees. Once I upgrade my Hard Drive, I'll be set. [​IMG]

12. GaryAR

GaryAR Agent

Ken

thanks for the response. i was confused about the adapter, i guess i'll need to get an HDTV card for the computer and run the component signal into it.

-gary