What's new

Anyone using a Panamax 5100 (1 Viewer)

Joe Mollura

Stunt Coordinator
I looking to purchase a Panamax 5100 and was wondering if anyone is using one in a system that included a power amp? I have a Rotel 1095 (200x5), and was concerned about it being limited by the Panamax. Any info on this and other comments about this unit would be much appreciated.

Todd_Michael_R

Stunt Coordinator
According to Panamax's website, the 5100 has "Two delayed-on outlets for high-current components such as amplifiers and powered sub-woofers, provide clean, filtered power without limiting the current available to the connected equipment."
So if you're worried about clamping, I guess Panamax took that in consideration when designing these relatively new surge surpressors. Sounds good in theory, but don't know how it performs in practice.
FWIW,
Todd

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Joe,

You're certainly on the right track in researching what various surge suppressor models provide, and the sky's the limit crossing the line, so to speak, into "balanced power" and isolation transformers and so on.

I dont own Rotel but have another brand of 170wX5 amp; mine plugs into the wall outlet per my emailing the company tech, given internal circuit protection and big toroid transformers.

I did look at the Rotel RMB 1095 owners manual, where I see they recommend this high-current amp be plugged directly into the house circuit with 3-prong outlet (they didnt specify, but preferably 20-amp).

If you go this route, it may suggest you don't "need" a Panamax Max5100 type surge unit.

The other issue issue is powering up the 1095; doesnt it provide for a 12VDC trigger between the pre/pro switched outlet and the Rotel?

edit: I apologize if you've alredy thot about all this because I can understand if you want one more step of protection if the 5100 can "handle" the Rotel.

Joe Mollura

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your input guys:) Having allready had damage done to my T.V and DVD player, (they were plugged into Monster HTS 1000 buy my cable wire wasn't:frowning:) I think I would sleep easier knowing the Rotel had proper protection. Anyone else out there using this unit?

John H

Second Unit
I use a Parasound HCA-2205A and HCA-1500A plugged into a 5100 with no problems.

John

Edit: I was mistaken. It's a Panamax 5300

I was confusing it with a Monster 5100 which I also use in my system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks