1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone using 20" LCD monitor for TV viewing?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RichO, Aug 8, 2002.

1. RichO

RichO Auditioning

As the title says, is anyone using their LCD for regular NTSC viewing? If so, could you list your setup/config and overall experiences with such a setup?
    Thanks!![​IMG]

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

I've used my 20" LCD for a little TV viewing, but not much (because I have a LCD projector and a 36" CRT). It's a Dell 2000fp:

20.1"
    1600x1200 native resolution
    350:1 contrast
    25ms total average response time
    250 nits brightness
    VGA, DVI, S-Video, and Composite in

I've used a Hauppauge WinTV-D PCI card (through my DVI video card), a Viewsonic VB50 box (VGA out to the monitor), and a Panasonic VCR (S-vid to the monitor) as the tuner. My main computer is a P4 Xeon 2.4Ghz (single processor right now) machine with 1.5GB of PC800 ECC RDRAM, three Seagate X15 15,000rpm hard drives, DVD+RW drive, and Geforce 3. The WinTV-D gives reasonably good quality with dScaler.

It works ok, but it's still pretty small compared with a normal TV and absolutely tiny compared with a projector. Colors on the 2000fp are surprisingly good, but the black levels can't quite match a good CRT. The quick response time and non-MVA panel means no ghosting, even in quick action scenes. Avoid MVA based panels if you can, as they have problems with the white to black transition, even though their specs don't tell you this.

3. RichO

RichO Auditioning

FWIW, I'm moving into a 750sf condo in a week or so and space will be at a premium. Don't/can't have a 17" CRT for the computer and then a 20" TV in the bedroom. (No room downstairs for the PC) Soooo, since there seems to be a such a big push for LCD TV's, why not look at using a high quality LCD monitor for both PC and TV instead and save a few hundred $$$?

My current setup is a Celeron [email protected], GF3ti200 @ 210/500, 80G Seagate 'Cuda IV and a Hauppauge WinTV-FM card. I've got AT&T "digital" cable feeding the tuner card. Image is quite decent considering the RF connection from the STB. Although, I just noticed the STB has the single, "yellow", video out, RCA style jack. Not too sure how I would connect that to the 2000fp. Most likely just have to set up the PC as the TV feed to the Monitor via s-video.

4. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

5. RichO

RichO Auditioning

Can you please attatch the pic? All I'm getting is a Dell Support Sign In page. Not really into giving them all my personal info just yet.
    Normally, I'd just PM ya and ask you to send it to me direct, but I think it might be useful information for others.

6. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

[​IMG]
    1.Power adapter
    2.15-pin D-sub input
    3.DVI-D digital input
    4.S-video input
    5.Composite input
    6.Cable management hook
    7.Serial number label
    8.Kensington lock

7. Joseph-L

Joseph-L Auditioning

Is anyone using this monitor for HDTV? I would like to get a component to VGA transcoder to watch hdtv o nthis monitor, but will it work?