What's new

Anyone used their X1 or other projector outdoors? Any tips? (1 Viewer)

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I was thinking about using my x1(flashed to 4800)for and outdoor showing at a barbecue at my house. I was thinking of just using a bedsheet and hooking up just basic stereo sound using an old reciever and my front mains.

Has anyone tried this before and if so could you offer tips. I know ambient light is probably the biggest issue. I know I have seen pictures of people using the x1 outside, so I know it is possible.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think the only concern would be from the natural elements, i.e. wind blowing the sheet. Other than that I don't think it would be any different than setting up inside.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
One thing to consider also would be bugs that would be flying in and around ur precious pj, especially when it gets dark. Imagine the horror of trying to get one of those out!

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I hadnt thought about bugs, maybe I'll try to put the x1 in some kind of enclosure.

Has anyone actually tried this though, and can report results?

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Just use some screen door material, cover the X1 and cut a hole for the lens. Once you've focused and zoomed to where you like it use an elastic band to keep the screen tight against the lens.

B

Lyle_E

Stunt Coordinator

That would not affect video quality???
Not that it matters much as the 'WOW' factor for the audience would be more important :D

brentl

Senior HTF Member
How would that affect video quality? It's not covering anything, it's wrapped aroundthe outside if the lens and doesn't go over the lens

B

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Lyle:

One of the members of this board (Scooter) has used various different projectors to show a movie in his back yard for several years now and it always looks great.

I am pretty sure the X1 will be fine but I am not sure of the sheet doing what you want it to. I would try it out some night before the guests stop by and you find it doesn't do what you want.

If you want to take a look at Scooter's backyard events just like on HTF Meets Page at the top of every forum page and then click on the links to Scooterpalooza. You will see what I am talking about. And it may even give you a few ideas for your own outdoor event.

Parker

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I tried tonight with a bed sheet and it was a little too translucent. So I put a tarp behind the sheet and that solved the problem.

I thought the results were pretty good. My backyard is farely isolated, with mostly trees around other then the house, so ambient light wasnt a problem.

I think the biggest problem was getting the image proportion right, as the uneven surface of the yard made it difficult to line up the projector with the screen. I never got it perfect, but I got it close enough.

Lyle_E

Stunt Coordinator
My fault for not RTFP. ... I thought you would cover the lens...

The whole idea of a Backyard theater is pretty cool sounding....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks