anyone used rubberized undercoating on sub enclosures?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sebastian, Sep 14, 2002.

1. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

I read somewhere that spraying rubberized under coating (found at auto part stores) inside of a sub box help with cabinet resonance. Is this true? Are there any benefits vs using just poly fill or maybe doing both, fiber fill and using rubberized undercoating.
    Is it the same stuff as this at part express?
    Damping spray
    If so, the price difference is huge, you can buy rubberized undercoating for about 3-4 buck at Pep boys.

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

There is no reason to apply rubber undercoating to any sub used for home audio.

I'm sure it's fine for damping the vibrations made by the sheet metal in car installs.

The only thing that it will do for a home sub is to add mass to the cabinet. If you're making a tube sub, mass isn't needed. If you're making a wooden box, the weight of the coating is so little in comparison to the weight of the wood it's insignificant.

Also it will not absorb any significant soundwaves because the wavelengths of the passband of a sub are usually much longer that the dimensions of the box.

If for some reason you feel the need to use it, be sure to use a H2O soluble spray otherwise the off-gassing solvents may destroy the parts of the woofers

3. Travis G

Travis G Stunt Coordinator

Thomas I am glad you told him about how solvent fumes can destroy woofer adhesives and surrounds.

However, if the goal is to build lighter enclosures than wall damping compounds can be a great help. It won't help as a transmission loss treatment. It helps in the way of damping vibrations in the walls and raising wall resonances to higher frequencies.

Rather than using car undercoating, you could use a 50/50 mix of sand and roofing cement.

Travis

4. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

5. Will Orth

Will Orth Stunt Coordinator

Well Here is a "CHEAP" idea that works to an alternitive in the expensive dampining materials such as dynamat.

1) try using this, it is called ROOF PATCH ROLL Found @ Home Depot, think it comes in 8" rolls with a foil backing, I use it alot as it is cost efective compared to these high priced damping materials, it is like $15.00 and I just use it to add mass to the weak parts of my cabinets as you should brace much as possible to keep the cabinet TIGHT from resonances, if you want the best app I can tell you that one, but it is a pain in the ars and is only good for high end tweek cabinets.

And no the rubberized coating wont help, just for cosmetics at best..

Hope that Helps....

6. Travis G

Travis G Stunt Coordinator