Anyone used new Digital Video Essentials for plasma?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Tien_N, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Tien_N

Tien_N Agent

Anyone ever got a chance to use the new Digital Video Essentials to calibrate their Tv? How does it stack up against Avia and the old Video Essentials? I just ordered one online and was wondering if I could get some feedback on this product. Since it was just released a few months ago, anyone got anything good to say about the disc? Has the calibration made any drastic improvements on your plasma TV, rptv, direct view, etc? [​IMG]

2. Percell

Percell Extra

Hello

I bought the new disc when it first hit the streets last month. I had the old disc as well and it helped me greatly with my old CRT. Now I have a DLP TV and I was looking at 'improving' the picture quailty. To a lesser extent it did not help out. After many test patterns (that inculdes a new three color filter), I did not see much change. The disc is not a complete waste of time as it adresses audio and new plasma set ups. Overall I give it eh (or 3 out of 5).

3. Tien_N

Tien_N Agent

Which DLP tv you have? (make/model). I have a friend looking to decide between a DLP or LCD projection. Preferably by Sony or Hitachi. So how's the pic quality on your DLP?

4. Percell

Percell Extra

I have the Sammy 46 DLP. It is great. I have comcast and I enjoy the HD channels. We get 7 channels of HD including a local ABC channel (Monday night football, NYPD) and the INHD/2! I am in the army and move every three years so I like its weight (about 73 lbs). I have about three years left and looking at a home so it will be a great addition to my already growing home theater!

5. Tien_N

Tien_N Agent

Cool. Were you able to try your old discs to calibrate the TV instead?

I have a question about the HD channels. Do you use the antenna to catch those channels? Which antenna do you use? Do you have an HDTV box?

I've tried several antennas an neither seem to put out a good reception. And since I live on the 3rd floor of an apt. complex, that may help with the trees and all. I was thinking about getting the Terk TV55, any good feedback on that? Any other alternatives?

6. Percell

Percell Extra

Let me put it this way. When I had my old CRT and used the first disc, I could really see a change! When I first bought my DLP, I used the same disc (disc 1) and could not see any change. Then I bought the second disc and still did not see any major change. That is why I wriiten and gave my 'review' of 3 out of 5 stars. The audio portion and the end video demo are the best IMO.

I know there are experts out there that can tell me to get the best use of my DLP is to get it cailbrated; well I guess at my age (41) I can really tell a picture quaility of a 9 vs one of a 10. However, I am a little more verse in the audio (speakers and receivers). But that is for another fourm.....

I have cable. Beacuse of a very big tree and since I live on a military base and can't cut the tree down, I do not have direct TV. The cable company (Comcast) provided the box and the HD cables. I am not to verse of the boxes, but my co worker has a dish/box that he bought over the net. He seems happy with it.

Much luck!!!

7. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

To repeat the original question: "Anyone used new Digital Video Essentials for plasma? I too would like to hear any feedback on using DVE with a plasma screen.

8. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

I used DVE to calibrate three Panny Plasma sets (along with grayscale work) last week at a local high end shop. The disc works just fine like AVIA.

Straight forward ... if you know how to use the simple patterns and to follow instructions, it is pretty fast.

You will need to make a judgement call on the brightness though ... as it exposes the weakness of all plasma ... rather unstable blacks.

Regards

9. Tien_N

Tien_N Agent

Well given that Avia is pretty much outdated now, would you say the DVE surpasses it b/c now it includes calibration for plasma and HDTV as well? Or is this just a marketing stunt and it works just the same?