What's new

Anyone use Vonage or other VoIP provider? (1 Viewer)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
My wife has been bitching for a while now about how much we pay for phone services. Yesterday I dropped our seldom used cell phones to pay as you go and estimate saving $500 a year. This started her on her Vonage campaign again.

Vonage seems to have wildly varying reviews on it's service. Either it works perfectly, or it blows and it's impossible to cancel. So I'm reluctant to sign up for a 1yr commitment, even tho it's supposed to save us $800+ a year.

VoipYourLife and PhonePower seem to be betting much better reviews (avg 4 - 4.5 stars vs Vonage's 2.5) but I'm reluctant to go with a company I've never heard of before.

Does anyone here use VoIP or know someone who does?

We have a 2-line 5.8ghz cordless phone system. Would we be able to use this with any VoIP service, or would we be required to use an IP phone? The site's aren't clear, tho some say an adapter would be needed.

Thanks. My head spins when I try to sort all this stuff out.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I use Ooma and couldn't be happier. I paid $200 for the equipment and now get unlimited phone calls for life. I use it with naked DSL and the call quality is just as good as my old phone. I think with the new Ooma Telo you have to pay a fee every year to cover regulatory charges but it's not much. You can check it out at www.ooma.com.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I have VoicePulse. I have been using them for 4-5 years. It's $15/month per line (plus tax), and I believe the VoIP box they send you supports 2 lines, but you'd have to check to see.

That price only includes 200 long distance minutes. Unlimited is $25.

VoicePulse has all the bells and whistles, and even a control panel for features that you can access through their website. Even can have voice messages sent to your email.

I have 1 line/2 numbers for $20/month.

Bejoy

Stunt Coordinator
I was with Teleblend since the SunRocket days. Never had a problem.

Recently switched to Vonage because of their unlimited international pkg. Having all kind of issues with the service ..choppy calls etc..

Physically disconnect your home from the local phone company line and plug in the voip device output to any phone outlet. You can then use the home phone lines.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I use ViaTalk and have for about 2.5 years now. I have been very pleased with their service. Also, they run a debt-free business model which makes it less likely that they will go belly-up like SunRocket.

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
My first step into VOIP was with Qwest. They had poor quality and poor customer service. That lasted about 6 months. I switched then to Vonage and the quality was great. I used it over 1.5meg DSL connection. I never had an issue with the service. I remember going through the research faze of VOIP and when I picked Vonage over the others, i'm glad I did because most of those smaller companies folded operations.

I no longer have Vonage due to that we no longer used our home phone and switched to cell phones but we had the service for over 2 1/2 years, but I would highly recommend their service.

Paul

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I'm also a Viatalk customer for almost 2 years now. The call qulaity has been very impressive unlike when I had SunRocket. It actually costs me about $20 a month with all the fees and international calls we make.

On another note, I plan to try MagicPhone. I already gave one to my parents in the Philippines and the call quality is excellent. The thing that bugs me about it is that there is no option to retain or switch ur home number ...yet. I also have to actually have to get a PC that's always on (maybe a home network server?) But I think paying only $2 a month would still be better, right?

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I have a friend that has been using Vonage for a couple of years and he has been very happy with it. Although personally, I would probably buy an Ooma before I signed up for Vonage. It costs less than a year of Vonage service and from what I have read seems to work well.

I have a MagicJack which works fine with the stipulation that to make or receive calls, it has to be connected to a computer that is turned on. However, if the software is not running you can still receive voicemail on the number. They send you an email with the message attached.

With any VOIP solution it is probably a good idea to make sure you are using a router with QOS (quality of service) features. This will allow you to prioritize the VOIP traffic to minimize problems.

-Keith

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I've been wanting to switch to VoIP for a while- Comcast's Digital Voice is the obvious choice, since I can get the "Triple Play" package. The one reluctance that I have is that my wife occasionally does freelance work, and she receives a few faxes from time to time. I've heard that faxing over VoIP is hit and miss.

Anyone have any input on that? Getting rid of the $65 Verizon land line and going to ~$25 VoIP would be nice.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
While most VoIP services want u to pay for services that make u receive and send faxes, you can actually use the line just like any other phone line. I have faxed over and received faxes on my service with no other fees. I currently use a Lexmark wireless all in one printer fax which does evertyhing. Obviously u have to have it physically wired into the phone line or adapter ur using.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks