Anyone use these fullrange drivers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn Solar, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

I found them at creative sound solutions
    http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=JX92S

They look like a nice easy book shelf. about $400CAD a pair not including the box. No or little crossover unless it needs some baffle step compensation(so I've read) 9mm of x-max which is pretty decent for a 5.5" driver and pretty good high frequency response directly on-axis. Only drawback maybe that it cannot play as loud as some bookshelfs. Anyone use them before?

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Jordan modules have been around for ever.

Slowly evolving but IMO still not ready for prime time. Look at the waterfall plot, it's pretty ragged.
    [​IMG]

3. Shawn Solar

Thomas
    The 3-d waterfall plots are a bit confusing for me. Are they read back to front with the main frequency response being the one at 0sec and then the taper as time elapse the harmonics?

Your opinion is always greatly appreciated. Even taken as fact[​IMG] in alot if not all cases.

4. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Shawn

To make life easy just read the top/rear most plot L>R then read front to back. The best plots are really 'flat/smooth' in all axis'.

Scroll down the page and read the text description under "Figure A9: 3D Waterfall Display of Low Frequency Room Response"

The fact that the ETF page is describing measurement of bass in a room vs a loudspeaker in a test baffle, isn't important. The plots are still read the same way.

5. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

6. Shawn Solar

Thanks Thomas[​IMG]

So the third axis(time) should be flat as possible then. The best driver would not 'ring' but the response would die off or fade really quick. and left to right should be like a 2D line graph; flat as possible(smooth across its range with little dips and spikes)

7. Paul Stiles

Paul Stiles Agent

Above 600Hz or so, I don't think that the waterfall plots are too bad. There is some stored energy release at about 4 or 5 different frequencies above 600Hz. I have seen some waterfall plots in Stereophile magazine that have looked worse on products that got decent reviews and cost a lot of bux. Above 600Hz or so, the initial decay looks good except for possibly above 10kHz.

They might even sound decent.

Paul