What's new

Anyone use their DLP as a comp monitor? (1 Viewer)

BrettEr

Auditioning
I have a 62" Mits DLP and it is able to be used as a computer monitor. So, I was thinking, I pick up a cheap tower connect it to the TV, wire it up with a wireless network and get a wireless keyboard with a touchpad mouse built in, and VOILA! I'm surfing the web on my couch on a 62" screen.:D

So, does this sound dumb? Anyone else do it? What kind of cable do I need to connect the TV to the Computer? Do I need some super fancy graphics card for the computer?

Thanks!

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
What computer resolutions does the TV accept?

640 x 480 @ 60Hz (very crippling due to the limited desktop in view) is the same as 480p.

800 x 600 (600p), 1024 x 768 (768p), and 1280 x 1024 are common computer resolutions.

Some DLP TV's are actually natively 768p.

If none of the allowable TV input selections match any of the available computer output selections match, you will need a new computer video card.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Don't the Mits TVs come with Net Command? This feature should let you plug in a network cable (or wireless bridge) and purchase the Mitsubishi wireless keyboard and let you surf the net w/out the need for a computer. Now downloading files and what not, but basic net surfing w/out a computer. I know all but their lowest end CRT RPTVs have this feature. Might want to look into it.

BrettEr

Auditioning
Yes it has Net Command. But, I'm not too sure how you could surf the net with out a computer. I don't recall seeing anything in the manual that says you can do that.

Ramon A

Agent
you need to go to home theater pc. section they will tell you every thing you need to know about how to use your tv for web surfing to digital recording and cleanning up picture from any source, dvd is better on pc as well.

Sidney

Stunt Coordinator
I don't believe you can surf the web with Netcommand.. I do know there's a PC VGA jack on back of my Mitsubishi DLP 52725. Wish I could tell you more, but just got it last week but haven't had a chance to use it.

Sidney

Stunt Coordinator
I hooked up but I couldn't adjust the resolution settings to get rid of the black bars.. nor did changing the TV's format help (either had bars or was too zoomed in). The text was a bit blurry to me.. probably fine for viewing TV, but wouldn't use it as a monitor. The risk of damaging the TV alone makes me not want to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation483
Recent bookmarks