Anyone use the TAN-9000es amp like this?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Robert Posey, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Robert Posey

Robert Posey Agent

I have a Sony a/v receiver STR-DA777es (120 x 5). All 5 of my HT speakers are bi-amp capable (paradigm studio 100 v3 front - cc470 v3 center - studio 40 v3 rears). Could I purchase the TAN-9000es amp (5 x 115) and use it to power the woofers while I use the 777es to power the upper end?

Paradigm advises to use the same size & type of amp for both upper & lower frequencies. Are these two amps close enough (spec. wise) to each other to do this? Both are parallel push - pull design amps with dual output transistors for each output.

Thanks,
    Robert

2. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Robert- I don't think this is possible. Once an external amp is connected, the 777's own amps are no longer available. This would be true with most receivers and I think to bi-amp you will have to aquire enough external stand alone amperage to accomplish this. Good luck in your quest. Jack

3. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

Yes it is possible and the TAN9000ES is the ideal match for the 777ES

4. Grant B

Grant B Producer

if you have a hard time matching the channels you might want to run the TAE in the 2BTL+1 mode running the L & R on the BTL and Biamping the center and using the 777 with the +1 mode on the center
    g