1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone use the Pioneer 727 Changer?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Al_Swanson, Nov 11, 2001.

1. Al_Swanson

Al_Swanson Agent

I have a Sony 660 (non-progressive) 5 disc changer now, but saw a 727 at GG for $399 (open box) yesterday. It will be going into a Mits 65907. I know all about progressive, but haven't seen the progressive changer with everything I want...yet.
    So anyway, does anyone have any impressions, reviews, compliments or complaints about the 727?

2. Al_Swanson

Al_Swanson Agent

bump

3. Selden Ball

Selden Ball Second Unit

Selden
    I've had one for a while now. It's quite usable for both DVDs and CDs.
    + People seem to like the menu software better than what Sony uses on their mega-changers.
    + you have your choice of either coax or optical digital audio output.
    + it can provide full resolution digital output for 24/96 stereo PCM DAD DVD discs, but you'll need a compatible receiver or pre/pro. Otherwise you can select to have it downmixed to 16/44 PCM or listen to the analog stereo output
    + it'll show movie and song titles for discs that include text information (very few).
    + you can use a pc keyboard to input disc titles
    o There have been rumors of reliability problems, but mine's been working fine for more than a year and a half. (I got a Pioneer because of rumored reliability problems with Sony's mega-changers.)
    o I've never noticed the chroma bug, but I haven't looked for it.
    o I can't comment on its letteboxing quality. I've always played anamorphic discs in full resolution widescreen mode.
    - Component and s-video outputs are not active simultaneously (they use the same video drivers).
    - The switch to select between them is inconveniently on the back panel.
    - It only has stereo analog audio outputs, not 6 channel
    - it doesn't include a DTS decoder (but does pass the DTS digital signal)
    - It doesn't disable the analog audio outputs when playing DTS discs, so you have to be careful not to select the analog inputs on your receiver or pre/pro when playing a DTS title
    - It's somewhat noisy when loading and unloading a disc.
    I hope this helps a little.
    ------------------
    Selden