Anyone use the Pioneer 727 Changer?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Al_Swanson, Nov 11, 2001.

1. Al_Swanson

Al_Swanson Agent

I have a Sony 660 (non-progressive) 5 disc changer now, but saw a 727 at GG for $399 (open box) yesterday. It will be going into a Mits 65907. I know all about progressive, but haven't seen the progressive changer with everything I want...yet.
    So anyway, does anyone have any impressions, reviews, compliments or complaints about the 727?

2. Al_Swanson

Al_Swanson Agent

bump

3. Selden Ball

Selden Ball Second Unit

Selden
    I've had one for a while now. It's quite usable for both DVDs and CDs.
    + People seem to like the menu software better than what Sony uses on their mega-changers.
    + you have your choice of either coax or optical digital audio output.
    + it can provide full resolution digital output for 24/96 stereo PCM DAD DVD discs, but you'll need a compatible receiver or pre/pro. Otherwise you can select to have it downmixed to 16/44 PCM or listen to the analog stereo output
    + it'll show movie and song titles for discs that include text information (very few).
    + you can use a pc keyboard to input disc titles
    o There have been rumors of reliability problems, but mine's been working fine for more than a year and a half. (I got a Pioneer because of rumored reliability problems with Sony's mega-changers.)
    o I've never noticed the chroma bug, but I haven't looked for it.
    o I can't comment on its letteboxing quality. I've always played anamorphic discs in full resolution widescreen mode.
    - Component and s-video outputs are not active simultaneously (they use the same video drivers).
    - The switch to select between them is inconveniently on the back panel.
    - It only has stereo analog audio outputs, not 6 channel
    - it doesn't include a DTS decoder (but does pass the DTS digital signal)
    - It doesn't disable the analog audio outputs when playing DTS discs, so you have to be careful not to select the analog inputs on your receiver or pre/pro when playing a DTS title
    - It's somewhat noisy when loading and unloading a disc.
    I hope this helps a little.
    ------------------
    Selden