What's new

Anyone use Paradigm Reference 40s for surrounds? (1 Viewer)

Steve*MH

Stunt Coordinator
Wondering how the use of Paradigm Reference Studio 40s would work for surrounds in comparison to ADPs. Would the 40s be a good solution for a surround speaker--anyone with experience?

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I don't use the 40's, but I do use the 20's. It all depends on what you want for sound...accurate placement of sound (direct radiators) or diffused sound (Dipoles). I love the 20's in the back. I feel I lose nothing for movies but actually gain when it comes to SACD.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Steve,

I would mirror Evan's thoughts here on SACD usage and 5.1 music sound in general. The ADP's are 2 sets of Studio 20's in one speaker. Ideally, raise them above the listening area and they are wonderful for HT usage.

I am not real sure for music. If you use 5.1 or see that in your future for SACD/DVD-A, I think the safe choice is the 40's. However, a 7.1 system in combination with the ADP's and the 40's would be a nice setup indeed.

I have the 40's in combo with the 100's in a 5.1 system and it's a great price/performance sound.

Much luck,
Charles

Mark Dubeau

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Paradigm Ref - In-wall SA-35s as surrounds and they are great. I'm sure they are comparable to the 40s.

Jeff AW

Stunt Coordinator
I use the ref 40's as surrounds and I echo Evan's statements.

They are a great choice and really nice fit into my system. I run a 5.1 system as I do not beleive my room is large enough to benifit from 7.1. I chose the 40's over the adp's because I feel that I loose anything home theater wise (transitions sound awesome) and I benefit with 5 channel stereo and SACD playback as a great bonus.

If I were doing a 7.1 system, however, I would have dipoles for side surrounds and still have the 40's in the rears.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks