What's new

Anyone use NERO for backing up data? (1 Viewer)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
I just installed Nero, and plan on using it for backing up data on my hard drive as well as copying CDs.

I have successfully copied files to CD for storage, but I'm wondering if Nero offers a way to do incremental backups of data (as it stands now, I'm going to have to erase each CD, then re-burn all the files I want to save each back-up time; there must be a better way).

Thanks!

Jon

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
like, synchronize the cd and your directory in hard drive? hmm i dont think i have seen that kind of feature.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the response, Felix, but I'm not sure if what you said is what I'm trying to do.

I just want to regularly back up my files onto a CDRW.

Doesn't anyone do this? How is it managed?

Thanks,

Jon

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Jon,

I don't have an "auto backup feature"- but I have setup a simple backup procedure for my aunt. This might not solve your problem (not sure exactly what you're looking to do)- and won't work if you're doing a full giant backup.

But what she does it gets a regular CDR and does maultisession. Each time, she creates a new folder with the date (YYMMDD = 020706), and then just drops here userfile directories into this folder and burns. Her backups are maybe 10 megs- so she can do several backups on a single CDR.

-Vince

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
not sure exactly what you're looking to do
I just want a simple method of backing up my Word documents (for example) to a CD, whereas I don't have to keep re-burning the same docs each time, but only the new ones I've created since the last backup.

Example:

In January I do a backup, consisting of 50 Word files.

February comes. I've created 10 new documents since the last backup. I want to add these to the 50 I've saved last month. As it stands now - and what I want to avoid - is that I'm now backing up 60 instead of just the 10 new ones.

My question: Isn't there a way (or a program) that will recognize that 50 of the files have already been saved and there is no need to re-save them?

I suspect I'll end up doing what Vince suggested.

Thanks to all,

Jon

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
There's always the old archive attribute method. Backup your files, then clear the archive bit on them afterward. Then the next time you do backup, the only files that need to be backed up are the ones that have the archive bit set, and after that you clear the archive bit again. xcopy /m could do the job if the CD-RW is mounted as a drive letter.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
I don't think Nero offers native bundled incrmental backup function, however, you may be able to find third party backup software that can write to a CD burner that supports auto incremental backup. And yes, I do know what incremental backup is, I used to run data centers, and we do massive incremental backups daily on 9 track tapes, and I do have/use Nero software.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
If you want to do incremental backups then I would suggest buying BackUP MyPC. It's around $79 and does a great job on incremental backups.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Also, a cheap solution would be to simply sort the window by date- and only select the files to add to your archive that have been updated since the last backup. This wouldn't be smooth or automatic- but it would achieve the same end, and would be free.

Anytime you open your document folder in the Nero browser window you should see the "last modified" field which you can click on and sort by...

Although I don't really do incremental backups, just because often it takes too long to find the backup file (when was that last updated? You have to know in order to find the last backup). With CD-Rs costing a penny and average document files being small- it seems to be easier to update entire directories at every backup.

-V

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks