Anyone use Keyhole/Google Earth?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Brian Perry, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I was turned on to this application by PC magazine, and I have to say it's one of the most interesting products/tools ever devised. I'm sure many of you have seen satellite and/or airplane images of your house or neighborhood but this takes it a step further. It's hard to describe, but basically you can zoom in on any point on the earth. (Some areas, mainly rural, are not in hi-resolution.) If you have a decent web connection and a good graphics card, the smoothness and speed with which the "camera" zooms in is mind-blowing.

I went from checking out my house, to the Sears Tower, to the White House, to the Coliseum in Rome, to the Eiffel Tower, and back. I ventured to soccer fields in Beijing, major city streets in Sao Paulo, and then to Yankee Stadium. What a great educational tool this is. I subscribed for a whole year for only $24 (the data, all 12 terabytes of it, is housed on Keyhole's servers).

Highly recommended! www.keyhole.com

2. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

It certainly is fun to play with although it did fail to correctly locate two out of the three locations I entered into the system.

I’ll definitely play with it during the trail period but it’s a pass in terms of a purchase.

3. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

The pics are pretty amazing, although I live in Michigans fourth largest city and it doesn't have any high rez pics of my area. But it is very cool to look at some landmarks.

4. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

I love Keyhole. Its great fun to play with and I like the nifty 3-D landscape effect. hopefully now that Google has acquired them they will start to add even more data (12TB is just not enough [​IMG] )

5. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

We use it as a demo tool and will be starting to play with ArcGlobe shortly as well. As a spatial geek being able to view the globe from a different vista is fantastic

6. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Is that supposed to mean something? [​IMG]

I was definitely able to pinpoint my building, even my work place in the burbs.

Great tool. I only used the (2 weeks?) free trial, but I would plonk down the $24 if I had any consistent use for it.

--
    H

7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Brandon, I think you need a remedial math class. [​IMG] Let's see, Detroit 950,000; Ann Arbor 114,000; Dearborn 97,000; Flint 124,000; Grand Rapids 197,000; Lansing 119,000; Livonia 100,000; Sterling Heights 124,000; Warren 138,000.

Flushing 8,348. [​IMG]

8. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

My friend lives in the 3478th largest city in North America, he can't find his favorite newspaper kiosk either.

Keyhole sucks.

--
    H

9. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

Ha ha Scott, yes, I was just thinking that since Flushing is a suburb of Flint that I would have a chance to see my home like with Tera server.

Damn Holadem did I do something to piss you off? I wasn't trying to sound picky, just wished I could see my area in color.

10. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Just joshing around Brandon. It's kinda hard to get accross sometimes as I don't like smileys. Sorry.

--
    H

11. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

Ah, no problem Holadem, I get it, that is one of the downsides of forums, its hard to get the tonality of a joke across, Lord knows with your size I want to stay on your good side!!

12. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I knew what you meant, Brandon. The humor of seeing 'Flushing, Michigan" under your name and "4th largest city in the state" in your post was just too funny for me to pass up. [​IMG]

13. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

I don't have the time or bandwidth to register right now, but it looks something like microsoft's terraserver...

14. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

In major cities it is way better than the terraserver, in color and you can get closer shots depending on what city you are in. In rural areas, there is not much detail so the terraserver is better in that sense.

15. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

The satellite view option when using maps.google.com is interesting as well, but the scrolling function is quite impressive!

Put in your city and state, then add a zipcode to the end and watch it pan across the map to the new area.

Very cool and useful!

16. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Go to Google.com and click on more. Then scroll halfway down and on the first couple of items under Google Tools, you will find Google Earth. Read the instructions and download it.

What is it? Think of it as a flight simulator to the extreme. Everything is real and you can zoom in and out. Change elevation. Blah, blah, blah. Yes, you can even fly over Area 51.

Check it out.

17. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

18. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Sorry about the repost. :b

19. Dustin Elmore

Dustin Elmore Stunt Coordinator

I tried it, it really is very neat. Type in any address in the world and you get satalite imaging of it. Jeez, the things Google tucks away on their site!

P.S., anybody got the address of a good nude beach?

20. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

It actually works pretty well on my 1.3 GHz laptop with 512 RAM and ATI Mobility 7500.