What's new

Anyone use dvhs with their x1 fp(or another svga only fp)? Any impressions? (2 Viewers)

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I currently use my x1 for only dvd viewing through my liteon 2001, but have heard many people comment that over the air hd content looks great on it, even though it cant display true hd resolution.

I was thinking about acquiring a dvhs player and a couple movies to use with the x1, since there are some decent deals on refurbished units. However I am concerned there will be no benefit to going this route since the x1 doesnt display true hd resolution.

If anyone has tried using dvhs with their x1 or similiar fp I would appreciate it if you could share your comments.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
If noone has tried dvhs with an svga display, do you at least have any opinions on what my expectation should be?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
D-VHS is mighty fine. I'm sure you'd be darn pleased with it even if you lost a few %...? The only D-Theater tape I've seen that didn't easily best the DVD has been FIRST BLOOD. Mostly, you have to nitpick to fault D-Theater video. I've watched D-VHS on both a Sony XBR450 tube with squeez mode and on my 58" wide RP. It looks decidely better in both venues to me.

Have you posted this at AVS Forum? You should. Lots of projector people over there... Best wishes!

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I know the general consensus is that d-vhs is a significant leap in picture quality, but with an svga projector the resolution really maxes out at 480p so its questionable the results you would get from feeding it a 1080i or 720p signal.

However I see lots of people posting that OTA HD looks great on their x1, some even saying to them it looks better then dvd.

I guess I'll take your suggestion and post at the avsforum, I just thought I would try here first.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Hmnn, I see. I've set a D-VHS deck to 480i output and it became very DVD-like, looking, that'a way, a definite loss in resolution.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
Well a svga projector is equivalent to at least a 480p capable display and 480i looks noticeably worse then 480p on most displays.

I have heard people say that the x1 in particular actually looks better with hd content then some supposed hd direct view sets. That may be because some hd direct view or rptv sets dont really show all the resolution hd is capabled of. However hd content still looks better then dvd on these sets.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

..... dunno bout that.

You're not going to get a whole lot of benefit with DVHS, IMO, on an entry projector that can't handle high-def video and really take advantage of it. It might look slightly better than DVD because of better detail capable with the higher resolution, and better than 480 res possible on the x1, perhaps less MPEG compression artifacts, but I don't think an x1 is going to resolve these differences very well as to be worth the big investment in DVHS equipment and tapes. YOu should probably try it out first and see if differences are worth it for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks