Anyone use an eliptical trainer?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by SteveLa, Mar 9, 2005.

1. SteveLa

SteveLa Stunt Coordinator

Are these things for real? I recently started using one at the health club and it just seems too easy...I'm able to burn calories at the same per minute rate as I would if I was jogging on a treadmill. Since I'm significantly overweight, the jogging causes considerable shock to my feet, ankles and knees. When I step off the eliptical trainer, I feel none of the throbbing in my joints like I do on the treadmill. It just seems too good to be true.

2. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

Well, I use a cross-country ski machine which was the precursor of the elliptical trainer (same range of motion but without the up and down action). While I doubt that it burns as many calories as street or track running I imagine it's comparable to a treadmill. Plus, you get some upper body work. I have bad knees that make hard jogging, cycling, and even swimming painful but I can crank out 30-40 miles a week on the ski machine with no joint aches. I didn't need to lose weight so I can't comment on that aspect but my leg, shoulder, and back muscles sure have developed.

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

You're not putting as much impact on your joints when you use an elliptical, which is why you don't get the throbbing. That's the major benefit of it over a treadmill or similiar machines.

4. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

You should still feel it in your muscles though. If not, up the difficulty level on the machine to give yourself more of a workout. You shouldn't fall down when you get off the eliptical, but your legs should definitely feel like they had a workout. But you're right, joints should not hurt it's a low impact machine.

5. Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow Second Unit

Yep!

We got a machine a few weeks ago. Does give a good workout with little or no impact to the joints...

ours is a proform 785s $480 at Sams Club.

6. SteveLa

SteveLa Stunt Coordinator

Spoke too soon...lower back was pretty tight today. [​IMG] Starting out at 45 minutes perhaps wasn't a great idea.

7. Jason Kirkpatri

Jason Kirkpatri Second Unit

Whoa Nelly! That is a lot to do for the first time out. Wow! Wonder what you'll feel like today and tomorrow? [​IMG]

8. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I love ellipticals! I've always hated treadmills, stair climbers, and bikes, but the elliptical is something I could do everyday.

But I agree, 45 min the first time was pushing it [​IMG] The lack of jolting probably made it seem easier so you kept going, when in fact on other machines it could have been your joints telling you to stop before your muscles did. So now just take it easy and listen to your muscles. [​IMG]