What's new

anyone use Active Desktop? (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
what exactly is the point of using an active desktop? does it make navigating the desktop easier in some way, or is just one of those "neato" kinda things?

just curious....

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I assume you're talking about Windows 98 or ME. It lets you use JPEGs images as wallpaper. (Without it, you can only use BMP files.) That is the only thing that I can think of that you need Active Desktop for.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I thought the idea was that you can have a web page on your desktop. So you could have ActiveX and Java applets running on the desktop, instead of just static wallpaper. Calendars, push content, live TV, etc.

Perhaps it never caught on because (a) it introduced instability with stuff running all the time and (b) lots of times most of the desktop is covered anyway.

Matt`G

Agent
:laugh: So true. Not one of the better features offered by MS... I believe you are correct with your "neato" assessment, Ted! "Hey, look at the pretty blue screen this active desktop makes!" ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks