What's new

anyone use a yard vac? (1 Viewer)

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Tony-
I own the other model that sears sells (the one with the bigger motor and the vac hose).

Do you have a bumpy yard (eg, lots of smaller dips)? That has been my only complaint with the sears design, since it puts the intake (which is plastic) in front of the front wheels. My parents older Craftsman didn't do that, and I can't figure out why they went to this design.

I highly recommend them especially if you have oaks. They suck up acorns, sticks, pine cones, and leaves like nobody's business. However, if you can make it through this season with a rake, you can usually get them for half off or more in the spring.

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
Blah. Just use the bag on your mower. Not as fancy, but orders of magnitude cheaper than buying a piece of equipment you'll only use a couple times a year.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ok thanks paul but i would rather get feedback from people who use these things, because i will buy one in a couple weeks.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Rented one from the local Home Depot. Worked as advertised, though I couldn't justify the cost of buying one outright. Other than sucking up branches and dog poop, it doesn't do much more than a bagging mower can.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Aren't some of them also a home chipping machine? Nothing too fancy or powerful but our neighbor had one and we used it to chip some branchs from a tree. It also had a front intake and was from sears.

Jay

LewB

Screenwriter
I have a leaf-blower that can be reversed and used as a vacuum. It does a fair job at sucking up piles of leaves and the like. I would not use it to clean up a large area though. Just a thought ...

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My dad has one that attaches to a cart that he pulls behind his lawn tractor. He purchased it from Sears. My parents live on 11 acres of wooded property in northern Michigan, and have about 2-3 acres of lawn around the house that my dad clears of leaves. It's a great time and labor saver.

Since the unit works with the lawn tractor, once the cart is full he simply drives to his compost pile in the uncleared area of the property and dumps the leaves.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Rented one from the local Home Depot. Worked as advertised, though I couldn't justify the cost of buying one outright. Other than sucking up branches and dog poop, it doesn't do much more than a bagging mower can.
this is what i want to get one for. lot's of small branches and dog poop.
some pine cones mixed in too.
stuff a mulching mower or bag doesnt pick up in a really big yard.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Awesome tony, same one I have. The two gotchas I've found on it are the air filter gets gross quickly (it costs about $2.99 for a replacement at Home Depot) and some of the hardware (namely the four bolts that attach the hose to the decking) are prone to rust. But if you keep it inside or at least undercover, you shouldn't have a problem.

I used mine this afternoon, then loaned it to a neighbor. Amazing how popular it makes you this time of year.

Users who are viewing this thread