Anyone use a milkman?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Brian Perry, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

We've had our milk delivered for the past year or so (by Oberweis dairy) but I'm now wondering if it's really worth it.

First, the pros:

1. Convenience of not having to buy and transport milk from the grocery store.
    2. Oberweis claims the taste is better due to using glass bottles instead of plastic.
    3. Oberweis claims their cows are not given rBGH, which is a synthetic hormone. However, they also note that the FDA has found no difference between milk from rBGH and non-rBGH cows.

The cons:

1. Cost. A half gallon of skim is $2.40, plus each week's delivery charge is $2.30.
    2. The glass bottles are susceptible to breakage, especially if frozen (which can happen in sub-zero temps if you're not there to take the milk out of the cooler on the porch).

We have a new Costco near my house, and they sell skim milk for under $2 per gallon. I'm not opposed to spending more if the Oberweis milk is truly better/safer/healthier --particularly for young kids, which we now have-- but as I can't tell the difference in taste, I wonder whether it's just all marketing hype.

Thoughts?

2. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Sounds pretty expensive to me. I would maybe ask around and see if there are any other milk delivery services in your area.

In northen Denver we use Longmont Dairy at our house. It's $1.94 a half gallon, tastes fantastic, and comes from non-hormoned cows (as you say, does that make a diff? Don't know, but nice to support NOT jacking perfectly good cows full of drugs for profits.) No delivery charge and very friendly service. A little more expensive than Costco, but it does taste better and it's not insanely more expensive (milk at Costco was $2.99 a gallon last time I looked -- a while ago.)

PS - We get the dairy delivery since we have 2.5 yr and 6 month old boys. The scientific jury is still out on whether hormones transmit through the milk or not, but why take chances?

3. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

Personally, my take on milk home delivery is that it actually saves us money. I don't have to make that emergency milk-run to the grocery store every once in a while and end getting $10-$20 worth of other groceries that I hadn't planned on getting. We also like the taste of the delivered skim milk better than regular store bought.

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Sounds like a good compromise is to buy organic milk from some natural foods store or from some supermarkets, you'll get the non hormone milk but avoid all the delivery charges. My sister buys that but I can taste a difference between the reduced fat organic milk and your basic off the shelf 1% milkfat milk. I prefer the non-organic milk myself. In this way, you avoid both cons that you list and you'll just have to see if you like the taste of store bought organic milk.

Jay

5. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

No, but my neighbor's wife does. :b

6. andrew markworthy

Bryan, dammit, you pre-empted my contribution to this thread.

7. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I can taste a difference between organic and regular milk and I prefer organic. However, I just buy it from the supermarket. Why bother with delivery when you can get the same thing from the store?

8. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Yeah, milkmen are more for the ladies, notice how they always wear shorts? It's just a damn meat market operation, I tell you! Its not about milk anymore.[​IMG]

9. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

Heh, this thread has me intrigued for some strange reason. Anyone know of a good milk delivery service in the Los Angeles area?

10. Mark Philp

Mark Philp Second Unit

Mark
    If I could get milk delivered I would. There is a chain of dairy stores around here that sell milk in glass bottles and I really think it tastes better than milk in plastic or cardboard cartons. I wouldn't mind paying a little extra to have it delivered.

11. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I get Oberweiss delivered to my house. Since my kids are 1.5 and 3 years, my wife and I feel that it's best for them to have hormone free milk whole milk. Plus it's very convenient. It's difficult to get out to the store with those two kids. Sure it's a bit more, but we feel it's best for the kids.

12. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Growing up pre-pasteurization, those glass bottles full of fresh milk had a one-inch layer of pure cream on top, which we siblings fought over for our cereal like it was gold. If milk could still be delivered with that cream on top, it would be worth the delivery charge, IMO.

13. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

Dick,
    I know what you mean about the cream. I lived on a farm for awhile when I was a kid where we had our own milk cows (talk about fresh milk). Anyway, she ran the milk through a separator to separate the cream from the milk. We would put that cream on cereal, chocolate cake, coffee, anything we could think of. It was gold as you say. I've tried to find a dairy farm out here that sells it, but no luck. I would drive across state lines if I could find some though.