Anyone update their electrical outlets?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Kevin. W, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I would expect that you could get the same performance with heavy-duty, industrial-grade outlets for a fraction of the price. If your home uses romex wiring, the isloated ground feature is unnecessary and merely adds to the cost of the outlet.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. JimPeitersen

JimPeitersen Second Unit

I got some Arrow-Hart (Cooper/Grouse-Hinds) spec-grade outlets at a great price and have been slowly replacing all my outlets. They may not "sound" any different with my system, but I do like their construction and the solid connections.
    JP

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

A nice benefit of the upgraded outlets is the improved mechanical connection which should lead to longer life and improved safety. Of course the different color is kind of cool looking too.

An additional read on isolated ground connections can be found here: http://www.hubbell-bryant.com/training_files/ig.asp

This link: http://www.bryantelectric.thomasregi...982523/igr.htm provides additonal information as well as some informative drawings illustrating the connections.

Hospital grade and other outlets with isolated grounds are available from a wide variety of sources (Hubbell, Arrow, Leviton, Pass&Seymore, etc.) although one will find that units that bear the audiophile logo command a very substantial price typically a few times over list. There are even close-out places on the web wherebye the cost for such units can drop to such enormously low levels that one could, if they wanted to, redo their own home. The explanations for an audiophile-grade outlet are often a rewording of NEC requirements and some manufacturer's explanation for said product. That is the way unfortunately in the audio world. However, if you're not going to run the isolated ground as it should, any potential benefits arising from it will remain just that--potential.

Kevin, I think improving the quality of one's outlets is a good thing. Improving the quality of one's earth ground should also not be underestimated with the proliferation of sophisticated electronic devices in some homes. While I'm sure you're satisfied with the product, I've posted this reply, in part to augment Wayne's comments, that you've overpaid substantially and would suggest that you could've achieved the same benefit for 1/5 or 1/10 the price. If this important to you then you can use it to your financial advantage. Often such products are made overseas (not a bad thing) but are repacked with some creative English instructions and in nice looking box. It's the latter two that you're paying for.

5. Gary Silverman

Gary Silverman Stunt Coordinator

What a rip-off! I don't see much in their specs that differentiate that recepatacle from any other major manufacturer except that it can accept a #8 wire(who the hell would do that?)and they have a gold plated logo badge(WOW, that's worth a bunch)P.T. BARNUM WAS RIGHT!!

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Well NEC mandates that an isolated ground receptacle be identified with an orange marking. One could, with a bit of creativity, call the gold color ummmmm...orange.

7. Gary Silverman

Looked for UL 893L listing on a few recepatacle spec sheets. Couldn't find any I/G receptacles with that listing. Apparently a little smoke and mirrors?
    Anybody know what UL 893L is? Maybe that's worth $69.95![​IMG]

8. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

9. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

Kevin,

I replaced two Pass&Seymour 5262A's/15Amp (considered one of the best commercial- "mostly copper" -outlets one can source for < than $20.) for two Hubbell cryo'd 5362 outlets.
    The Hubbell 5362 outlets contain a bit more copper content (close to 75%) and are double cryo'd by Cryo International in AZ.
    I sourced the 5362 outlets from www.audioexcellenceaz.com and once installed in my dedicated basement HT (2 dedicated circuits:analog/digital), I never looked back.

The cryo'd 5362's simply outperformed the P&S 5262A's in spades.
    Without actually installing different outlets personally, and listening, all one can take from non-user comments regarding the subject of upgraded outlets ..... is just that.... personal comments less actual experience.

Trust your ears and personal experience.

BOK

10. Gary Silverman

Actually, most breakers and panels will accept the #8. Maybe not some of the tandem or half size breakers.
    With a real long run, and I mean really long, #8 might be used to compensate for voltage drop.Not anything you'd run into with residential wiring, except for maybe low voltage wiring.