What's new

Anyone up for the Haunting (1998?) in Blu? (1 Viewer)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
This movie was silly as hell but it has some of the best audio around. The DTS disc I had has some of the most sub blowing bass...ever!

I can only imagine a lossless HD audio track.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
It doesn't matter how good the audio/video is, if a movie sucks (ie. The Haunting) then I really don't want to watch it again.

I'll take a great film with bad A/V over a crappy film with great A/V any day of the week.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i'll take a dts hd ma audio track for this one.
I didnt think it sucks.
not as good as the original but it was till worth owning for me.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
disappointment on the DVD: the bottom end of the bass was rolled off in the surrounds for the disc. When the disc was released, WSR did an interview with the guys behind this disc and that was mentioned.

If the Blu-ray is released, I'd like the roll off to be eliminated.

There is still plenty of bass in the rear channels (and hardly realistic) - but it's pure fun. I've got 2 12" powered subs for the surrounds (one for each channel) that can go to 20Hz at high SPL...so Universal...let me utilize them. Save the bass management for audio processors on the consumer end...

Mike

Xylon

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex L

I only bought the D-Theater tape for the loooooooooooow bass :laugh:

Ok that and Catherine in HD!

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
As excruciatingly awful a movie as I've ever come across; of course, I don't possess the "enjoyment of films so bad, they're good" gene, so I'd pass on this a million times over...

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Nthing the need for the '63 film first. Watchable movie > LFE.

Hopefully it would include the deleted scenes found in a UK preview print at the National Film Archives. The sound design, despite being mono, is excellent. BluRay needs more stunningly photographed B&W films like this.

(I turned off the remake after 15 minutes and I hadn't even seen the original yet, so no comparision bias here)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I have the demo scene from this film; That's all I need to see from it.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I enjoyed this quite a bit, I'd buy it, but I'd pass on the '63 version.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

While I eventually support all BD-releases (I mean we need different films for different people), I disliked the remake. It´s empty and hollow CGI-mess. And the worst of all, it´s not spooky... I like the original, though.

But like I said, they should just release both.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
"Anyone up for the Haunting (1998?) in Blu?"

No, but I'd certainly be up for THE HAUNTING (1963) in Blu, as long as they could inject a little life into the soundtrack (i.e. an augmented low end).

Med

Stunt Coordinator
The Haunting ('98) has not found its way into my considerable DVD library and would not find a place in my slowly growing Blu-ray collection either, due to the fact that it's such a poor film (and I do have the 'so bad it's good' gene! But this one is just plain awful!).

As others have said on this thread, if Robert Wise's superlative original was issued on Blu, I'd buy it on day of release!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks