Anyone...um...picking the...ahem...Lions on Thanksgiving?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon_Are, Nov 20, 2001.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Never in my life has a hometown sports team displayed such a consistent, unwavering, deep-seated will to lose !!!! Such ineptness I've never witnessed. "Tacklers" who seemed to have dipped their hands into a communal vat of Vaseline before each series of downs. Cornerbacks who apparently feel it is impolite to be in someone else's "space" and get burned more often than Yosemite Sam's biscuits. And a quarterback who makes more bad decisions than Robert Downey Jr. on a bender (he actually threw Sunday's final pass - a game-ending Hail Mary - Out Of Bounds!!!). Has anyone here seen a group of professional athletes more pathetic than my Lions? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

Jon

2. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    I think it would be a shame to see the Lions win. I would hate to see them ruin a perfect season.

That said, I think that they actually will win on Thursday. Green Bay is not really all that great, and Favre always has his worst games in domes (especially the Silverdome). Detroit, as bad as they are, tend to score some points. If they do win, it will probably be more of a case of Green Bay shooting themselves in the foot.

If they don't win, there only other chance will be at the end of the season against Dallas.

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Getting through an entire NFL season without a single win is almost as hard as getting through one without a loss. I think the Lions will accidently win one before the season is through, but it will not be Thursday. The Packers are coming off a bad game, so they will be looking to rebound against the Kitties.

The sad thing is that even if they do somehow manage to go 0-16, they still will not get the #1 pick in the draft. That honor goes to the new team from Houston.

The best bets for a win -- home against Minnesota and Dallas. Unfortunately, they do not play Carolina. I think the Panthers may be worse than the Lions.

The big question is... how many players will actually be back on this team next year? Millen will clean house this offseason, and there is not much to salvage. Other than Jason Hanson, Shaun Rogers, Robert Porcher and Jeff Backus, anyone else is fair game.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

No offense to Lions fans, but I want to see 0-16. [​IMG]
    A Lions-Cowboys game would be awful to sit through. I'm not sure either team would win. By the second quarter, I'd probably be begging for the game to be interrupted by Heidi. [​IMG]

5. ChrisR

ChrisR Stunt Coordinator

Is anyone suprised that the lions suck this year? Probably not. Especially those of us from Michigan.

I'm glad I put Favre, Freeman, and Green on my fantsy team this week.

6. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

7. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

Oh well. They weren't expected to be playoff hopefuls this season, anyway. At least they're making some games interesting, it looked like they mailed it in for the first few weeks.

I recall that the last time they had the #2 overall pick, they did all right with it.

8. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

9. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

Jon - how right you are. Leave it to the lowly Lions to get a top 5 draft pick in a year with no true blockbuster players available. No P. Manning, R. Williams, E. James, etc. available this year.

Hmmm, me thinks that the Lions will use their top 5 pick on the next Andre Ware!

10. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

The reasons I listed Minnesota as a possible win are (1) they play terrible on the road, and (2) they have a very bad defense. Of course, the Lions will probably lose to the Vikings, but a victory is at least possible (and that's all I was looking for).

Yes, Johnnie Morton will probably be back, if only because Millen will be looking for too many receivers as is, and Morton is easily the best the Lions have. However, Morton is not a #1 receiver, since he is too slow. He makes a fine possession receiver, though. Crowell is overrated. He has had 1/2 of a good season in his entire career, and he drops too many passes.

Detroit needs speed at linebacker and in the secondary, and desperately needs some quality skill position players on offense (receiver, running back, tight end). I hate to say it, but with all their other needs, they may be better off bringing Batch back for one more year. This is a three year rebuilding project, so unless a can't miss QB is available in the draft, they should use that first round pick on another position. And just how many "can't miss" QB prospects are there? For every Peyton Manning, there's a Ryan Leaf.

Better yet, if possible they should trade down in the draft for extra picks.

11. Kurt B

Kurt B Stunt Coordinator

Green Bay has the short end of wins in the Silverdome. However, I predict a Green and Gold victory to compliment the turkey dinner.

I don't see the miskeys happening again between Schroeder and Favre (at least this week).

Happy Thanksgiving.

12. Trey Fletcher

Trey Fletcher Second Unit