What's new

Anyone try "Ultimate 3D Collection" w/IMAX Haunted Castle & 2 more + 3D Glasses? (1 Viewer)

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
Would Best Buy allow a return for credit if the hardware was incompatible with your home equipment?
Answer: Yes. I bought this set at Best Buy and it was NOT compatible with my Sony 57" Widescreen RPTV and Sony Progressive Scan DVD player. Maybe it would have worked if I'd completely re-worked all the components, but I wasn't willing to move the whole entertainment center to access the TV's rear panel every time I wanted to watch 3-D.

The gizmo that you needed to connect between the glasses and the DVD was cheap and only had composite input/output. Why didn't they just include a set of cheapie 3-D glasses??? (Made me wish I'd kept the ones from Disney Animal Kingdom's "Bug's Life" 3-D attraction.)

Anyway, I returned it to BestBuy the next morning and the manager refunded my $$ with no problem.

A good idea...just too complicated to bother with.

FrankD

Stunt Coordinator
Jenna, you did not have a spare composite connection?

Note: Although the instructions say to connect via the composite, you may be able to avoid this and use your regular DVD connection. You would just connect the composite out of your DVD player to the 3-D sync box and just leave the normal connection to your RPTV from your DVD player (progressive). Now you need to force your DVD player into video deinterlacing mode. This should work, unfortunately one must try it to be sure 100%.

Also the 3D DVD movies that come with the Ultimate set say that you must sync the glasses with the movie. There are only two choices. Unfortunately only one 3D DVD disk, "Ultimate G", contains the L and R sync primer and this is not one of the DVDs that is in the Ultimate set! What I have done is to pause the movie and move forward by one frame (field). The left eye should see the left side of the 3D object and the right eye should see the right side of the 3D object.

Out of curiosity, where in Best Buy did you find this set? I scoured the large DVD section (WOW has it grown!) and couldn't manage to find it.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I've seen it in the box sets section- they carry a smaller-sized set than what I've seen at Tower and Fry's, though it probably contains the same thing.

FrankD

Stunt Coordinator
Jason, I called the 3-D disks suppliers and they said that they have no knowledge of this future issuance. So I do not know if Best Buy has made an error. However the good news is that another 12 titles will be issued this summer, so the supplier tells me. Currently there are only four titles available.

MikeDE

Second Unit
I travel a lot for my job, and out of 4 Best Buys, only one carried this. It was in the box set sections. If you already have glasses, Ultimate G's was in what I call the miscellaneous section for around $13. I have VR Surfers, so was able to watch it with them. Hope to some day scrape up enough to get the box set of find it used.

Mike

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I can verify that I found the title I originally posted about in the box sets section.
As for "Jason, I called the 3-D disks suppliers and they said that they have no knowledge of this future issuance. So I do not know if Best Buy has made an error.", all I can say is that you can click on this picture to be taken to Best Buy's entry for it:
http://www.bestbuy.com/movies/productInfo.asp?m=270&e=11161739
...Somehow I don't think Best Buy just pulled all of that out of their collective asses. SOMEONE supplied them with the info and cover art! AND the 7/23 release date.
I don't have my glasses on, but it looks like the three titles in this pack (2 of them mentioned in a previous post in this thread) are Camp Blood, Haunting Season, and Zombie Chronicles.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Steven,

These will not work with any LCD, DLP, DILA, or other digital projector.

Anyone,

Is there a good way to get (cheap) compatible glasses to use with just "Ultimate G", that is all I am interested in.

FrankD

Stunt Coordinator
I found some more information on the "Ultimate 3D Horror Collection" in DVD format due by July 23, 2002:
http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...&item_id=51303
Anyone seen these movies on VHS 3D? Are the movies any good? Is the 3D any good on VHS?
It looks like the DVD are being made/marketed by Slingshot Entertainment. The same company that is associated with the "Ultimate 3D Collection" by Imax.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I have just one good eye so 3D will not work for me, but does any one know if these titles will play fine (clear) with out the glasses and all?

Wes

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
Wes, the three films in the Ultimate 3-D Collection let you choose a menu option to play them in 2D instead of 3D.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Yes, I've seen the movies. Everyone should understand they are low budget productions. Some of them are better than others in all departments (script, acting, direction, etc) but at least someone out there is attempting to make feature length 3-D films. The 3-D effect itself is quite good, even on VHS.

One thing that bothered me about ZOMBIE CHRONICLES is that there were a significant amount of flat shots throughout the film. Did they think no one would notice? It's annoying to be watching a film and have the film switch back and forth from flat to stereoscopic during a single scene.

I've seen EYES OF THE WEREWOLF, CAMP BLOOD, CAMP BLOOD 2, V WORLD MATRIX, ZOMBIE CHRONICLES, HUNTING SEASON and BLOOD SISTERS so far. I think WEREWOLF was the one that I enjoyed the most.

Overall, though, the reason I enjoy the system is to watch the many Hollywood 3-D movies. Studios, are you listening???? We want good quality 3-D versions on DVD.

MikeDE

Second Unit
It looks like the new 3-d releases will at least be feature length instead of the half hour movies now available. That's good news. Now, if they would only release some of the fun oldies in 3-d, like House Of Wax, Dial M For Murder, along with the later ones like Spacehunter.

Mike

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
If I go ahead and get this package with the 3-D glasses, then how do I know that some other 3-D DVD is compatible with the glasses?

I mean, if - let's say - Jaws 3 (aka Jaws 3-D) came out and had the 3-D version of the film included on the disc. How would I know that the glasses hardware I got with this IMAX package would work with the Jaws 3 deal?

Better way to ask this question: If I see something on the cheap rack somewhere that says it has a 3-D version, how would I know it works with the hardware system rather than, say, cardboard glasses?

GregK

Screenwriter
I mean, if - let's say - Jaws 3 (aka Jaws 3-D) came out and had the 3-D version of the film included on the disc. How would I know that the glasses hardware I got with this IMAX package would work with the Jaws 3 deal?
It depends. If the Jaws 3-D tape or DVD was in the field-

sequential format (like the previous Japanese VHD videodisc

release) again you would be fine. But if it was released in

red/blue anaglyph (like when it was broadcast in 3D on TV

in parts of Europe) then you're stuck with using the red

& blue glasses.

Some films have been released on video in both 3-D formats.

"Comin At Ya!" for example was first released on VHD and

later from 3DTV Corporation in the field-sequential format.

Not too long ago it was released on DVD, but in the inferior

anaglyph format. Why use anaglyph you may ask? Because cheap

red & blue glasses can be included with the disc, unlike

the more costlier LCS field-sequential type of glasses.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
So how will I know that the 3-D format is "field-sequential"? Will it say on the box? Is there a logo I should look for?

Thanks, by-the-way?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks