What's new

anyone try the toshiba SD6980? it looks like it plays EVERYTHING (1 Viewer)

JesseBro

Stunt Coordinator
i started searching for an all in one unit for my living room setup... im not looking for absolute fidelity or picture.. just a good stand alone unit that will play anything i throw at it.... so at first i found pioneers new dv588as unit but it does not have a memory card reader.....then i found samsungs unit, but it lacked DIVX support

so then i came across the toshiba sd6980 and it has it ALL

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvd/prod...?model=sd-5980

wish there were some reviews before i get it

BradJudy

Stunt Coordinator
I don't see anything in the specs about the Toshiba supporting DIVX.

Not to mention no DVD-A or SACD.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Have not considerd this player or any other player that is built thin like that. I personally dont trust players that are built that thin. I know there are most likely alot of people here that have had no longevity issues with low profile dvd players. But I just dont trust them and would rather purchase a player with a more stout transport, this is just personal preferance.

JesseBro

Stunt Coordinator
that was my gripe about it as well......thing only weighs 4 lbs.... are there any stand alone players out there that play all the formats, but are built a little more stout???

BradJudy

Stunt Coordinator
DIVX and memory card support are generally not found on more well built products. They cater to different markets.

Outside of those two items, there are plenty of higher end players that play pretty much anything.

JesseBro

Stunt Coordinator
i figured as much......but like i said, this is NOT for my audio setup.....this is just for the living room use... and i can take advantage of the memory card and DIVX options

Greg Bright

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregory Bright
Jesse, the link in your original post points to the 5980, but you talk about the 6980. Both seem to have the card slot but look completely different. Strangely the 6980 is not mentioned on Toshiba's web site.

I have a Toshiba 4690 which I believe is a predecessor of the 5980. It is the most ill-conceived ergonomically incorrect piece of electronic equipment I have ever owned. I replaced it in my main system with the Pioneer 588as. Night and day difference. Maybe not in sound or picture quality, but in ease of use. The Toshiba remote was not designed by a human mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks