Anyone try the ATI All-In-Wonder 9700 pro? Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg_TSL, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Greg_TSL

Greg_TSL Stunt Coordinator

Just saw the new ATI AIW9700 Pro is out and has component output included. My primary interest would be to play PC games on my HDTV...if anyone gets the card and has any luck let me know.
    If I don't hear anything soon (this weekend)I'll go buy one and try it, I'll post my opinion of it when I do.

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

It uses a converter cable, just like the 8500 and 9700. The component out is not on the board. IF you have a HDTV, the AIW probably won't be worth the price difference over a standard 9700 pro.
    [​IMG]

3. Greg_TSL

Following is what perked up my ears a bit about the 9700.
    I'm not planning on running most stuff through the HDTV, but would like to play the few games that support the resolutions with it...I know its an expensive way to go, but I am a sucker for the bleeding edge!

"The most notable items are the component output adapter and Pinnacle Studio 8 Video. ATI had come out with a HDTV component video adapter for the 8500 cards which was valued at $30 and had dip switches to control different video modes (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i). The 9700 component adapter is different in that it is only a cable adapter and the video mode controls are now all software/driver based."

4. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

The key is:

Does it allow you to scale macrovision equipped DVD's above 480p through the component output adapter?

5. John*Jones

John*Jones Stunt Coordinator

Is the card even out yet? I can't find it anywhere. [​IMG]

6. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    It is supposed to start shipping in late November.

DROOOOOL!!!! I can't wait!

7. Greg_TSL

Darn...sounds like I wont be picking one up this weekend then [​IMG]

8. John*Jones

John*Jones Stunt Coordinator

i feel your pain Greg...I was planning on getting the AIW 8500 128mb card (it's down to $240). now i find myself drooling over the 9700 and looking for reasons to justify what i would imagine would be a big price difference between the two [​IMG]
    i need to get the upgraditis monkey off my back [​IMG]

9. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    ATI is currently looking at a $499.00 retail price. [​IMG]

10. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

Well for those of you who don't want go all the way, there's a deal out there for the AIW 8500 128 meg for $149 after rebate...a PM to me and maybe a slight compensation will let you know where, if you don't feel like doing a search. [​IMG]

11. Greg_TSL

I wish I'd paid more attention, but they had the 8500 AIW several months ago on Tech TV.
    They agreed the performance and features were good, but were dissapointed with how difficult it was to integrate with an HDTV...specifically when it came to switching between the desktop and the games they were trying to play.
    I guess I wouldn't want the 9700 either, unless they have made some headway in this area.
    I understand the difficulties this presents technically and I think they will have to tool some pretty extensive software and drivers to get it to work more seamlessly.
    Then there is the question of which games will support it. I imagine it is very few, but I'm a first person shooter fan, so I hope the flexibility of this genre presents some options.
    I guess I'll just have to wait till it comes out to get some diffinitve answers.
    From the 9700 technical specs, it sounds like they've made the hardware connection more elegant, but they dont say much about the software side, so I'm not expecting too much at this point.