Anyone try DVDplanet.com?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Feb 21, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I'm going to call Buy.com to see if I can FINALLY get them to cancell my two orders that have been On Order for over a month, and once I do, I plan to get them to cancell my account.

Their customer service stinks via email, lets just hope phone is better. Question though. I don't make enough to keep a credit card, so I use my parents. Especially at 23, I have no real need for one yet. Does one of them have to be there in order to cancel an order with it, or can I just call up and do it manually myself?

As far as DVDplanet.com goes, they offer the same prices as buy.com does, but hows their delivery, reliabilty, and customer service?

Are their pre-orders always shipped on time?

Thanks!

2. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer
    Supporter

Neil-

I like DVDPlanet.com

I use them and deepdiscountdvd.com

the most for my on-line ordering.

Yes, sometimes pre-ordered items don't ship

as early as I'd like, but that is the exception

and not the rule. I have had VERY good luck with

customer service at DeepDiscountDVD.com

When I call them, they are always friendly,

and tell me what I hope to hear.

Mark

3. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Before it was called DVD Planet and owned by Image Entertainment, this was Ken Crane's, which was the finest mail-order firm of laserdiscs in the United States.

The laserdiscs are gone, but the service and reliability are still there. And if you are ever in Westminster, California, their showroom is a DVD-lover's wet dream.

- Steve

4. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    I'm a DVDEmpire regular who just placed my first 2 orders with DVDPlanet (their Criterion sale)...discs arrived promptly and service was professional.

I still like Empire, but it's nice to another choice.

5. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

DVD Planet has quickly become my favorite online store. I've not yet tried Deep Discount DVD, though. I've found DVD Planet to be extremely fast and reliable.

6. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I buy almost all of my DVD's from DeepDiscountDVD.com and DVD Planet. DVD Planet has, in my experience, superb customer service!
    And I agree with Steve about the wet dream thing! [​IMG]

7. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I used them a lot in the past and have never had any complaints about their service. However, they raised their prices a while ago and raised their shipping rates and now charge per disc which is ridiculous. If you order a 2 disc dvd, they charge you like their shipping two items. Bottom line, they haven't been cheap enough for me to use anymore. I use b&m or laser's edge.

8. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

I'll tell you this much, avoid bestprices.com like the plague.

9. Rob M.

Rob M. Stunt Coordinator

I've ordered from DVD Planet three times, with excellent service each time. For example, I preordered the Criterion edition of Rebecca from them and it arrived a day before street date--and I live all the way across the country (unless they fulfill orders from somewhere other than California). I highly recommend them.

10. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Aaaahhh...the thrills of living only 10 minutes away from a DVD-lover's wet dream!!! [​IMG]

11. NeilEdwards

NeilEdwards Stunt Coordinator

I heartily recommend DVDPlanet. Since DVDExpress went out of business over a year ago, I have been buying exclusively from DVDPlanet. 99.9% of my purchases are pre-order and they usually ship on schedule. If you don't get your order in soon enough, you may have to wait for their second shipment. Sometimes, I have been informed, that their orders from studios are short-shipped with a follow up days later. This is true on a sleeper.

Their shipments come from Las Vegas, which I suspect is a fulfillment center that serves many online retailers.

Since they do no ship an invoice with the product ... it used to come in the mail several days later. Now it comes via email ... sometimes. Although I have not had a problem, I must keep on them for missed invoices to compare with my credit card bill.

Their customer service is exemplary with an 800 number. I am almost totally satisfied.

12. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

Another high recommendation for DVDPlanet. I've been ordering my lasers/DVD's from them for the past 6 years and have nothing but good experiences with them. Quick shipping, great prices, lots of stock and excellent customer service.

13. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

I buy all my loss leaders from Best Buy, all my criterions from DVDPlanet and all my other ones from Deepdiscountdvd. DVDPlanet does have the best prices for criterion.

14. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

If DVD Planet would allow you to hold orders till all the DVDs come in, I would use them, but they have a lousy shipping policy which charges way too much. If you have an order for 6 DVDs, there is the possibility of getting 6 separate shipments & thus 6 separate shipping charges.

I'm sticking with Deep Discount & DVD Empire.

15. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

I think Buy.com's customer service sucks. [​IMG] They'll never get another penny out of me.
    On a brighter note, DVD Planet is one of the few "e-tailers" that I have never had a problem with. They are fast, their customer service is great, and their prices are good. I recommend them 100%, without any reservation.

16. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>> I think Buy.com's customer service sucks. They'll never get another penny out of me. >>

Let me first thank the pereson who posted the unlisted number in another topic I started a while back. I called the main one, and that was no help since they basically redirected me back to the online site. So, I gave the unlisted one a shot, and got a Customer Service rep right away.

Very nice guy, was helpfull, but I don't like their cancellation process. How can a pre-order item, that has been on order forr almost a month now, be too far into the shipping process? They DON'T have the item in stock, so they should be able to cancell it right away, correct?

Anyway, they told me I'd get credit for the items, once we returned them. Wich I assume means I'd be able to pick out two products of equal value, and get those shipped to me instead, since I guess they already charged me for the order.

Once that's done, I'm going to cancell my buy.com account and give DVDEmpire and DVDplanet a try. At least Amazon lets you cancel an item right away.

Oh, and I recomend DeepDiscount DVD for those who havn't tried it yet. I've already placed three orders with them, and probably saved about 30$'s total if I Had gotten it in the store..