What's new

Anyone try Dragons Lair 3d in 1080i? Give impressions here! (1 Viewer)

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
I literally ran to EB when I got home from work last night...IT WASN'T IN TILL TODAY (11/19)...:frowning:
I'll let you know tonight.
Troy

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
I see.

I hope more games that arent so demanding on the memory take advantage of the Xboxes ability of HD resolution.

I know those games would sell great just to see it on peoples new HD sets.

Leroy

Second Unit
Yes, please!!!! Anyone?? Gamecrazy has this in stock, and i've been dying to see something, anything in 1080i on my tele. Seems like it would be a fun game regardless.

DwightK

Second Unit
Went to get this game today and EB says tomorrow. What a drag. Got MK:DA instead and it is a blast so all was not lost.:emoji_thumbsup:

JohnTKline

Stunt Coordinator
It's 9:14 a.m and ups just delivered it to my door! Time to turn off AOTC and hook it up. I'll report back in an hour or so! The back has logos for hdtv, widescreen, dolby digital, 1 player. Teen mild violence.

10:14 a.m-->Wow! This game looks great. The manual states the game supports 480p, 720p, 1080i. DL3D automatically uses the highest resolution possible, but you can change settings in the xbox dashboard.
Dolby Digital sounds good, with a nice musical score. This game also has some extras which is the making of the Dragons Lair 3D, with interviews from the creators, and it's kind of funny to watch the voice over recordings!
I've only played a little of it and watched the extras, but so far I'm enjoying having contol of Dirk. You can run, jump, duck, pull out your sword, block, attack, and rotate the camera around as you move. Very nice! I'm sure someone else will write more, so I'm back to playing! Oh and I'm running it 1080i 55" hdtv. And I left it on while typing and I swear it's like a hidef cartoon is going on while I'm walking around cleaning up the room!

John

John

Greg_TSL

Stunt Coordinator
Well since so many of us are hosed on 720p my question is how much better it looks than 480p.

JohnTKline

Stunt Coordinator
Well I think 1080i for this game looks wonderful. It's like watching a hi-definition cartoon that you control the character. Even the panning of camera viewing is so smooth. They really put a lot of effort into this one, video and audio is superb. Nice musical score. I've played it for about 2 hours before having other things to take care of, but I'm looking forward to playing it again tonight after wife and baby goto sleep. I am from the generation that grew up with the acrade version and it's nice to have more control and a bigger enviroment.
Looks like GTA:Vice City will have to wait for a bit now that DL3D is here!

John

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
I played it a bit in 480p and then switched the cables and xbox settings over to 1080i. My response was basically "wow" with a slight jaw-drop :P As stupid as it may sound, it's basically just like getting a new video card for the computer and bumping up the resolution on your favorite game. The intro scene had the typical jaggies in 480p, but in 1080i they were reduced to essentially nothing. It was really apparant on the grey castle against the red/purple sky background. I just wish I had a decent digital camera to snap some screenies and show the difference.
In the game, I noticed some sluggishness in the first level, but that was just because it was a huge level encompassing the entire castle. Once I made it inside, gameplay was just fine with no framerate loss.
It's a pretty silly game, but I think it's going to be a lot of fun to play, if only for the eye candy. It's got a lot of rumble-shaking, but unfortunately it's not reflected in the bass audio signal enough to activate my couch's bass shakers ;) My favorite "feature" so far is when you run Dirk into a wall. There's a smacking sound and he says something along the line of "Doh!"
edit: I'm a retard ... I figured out how to get the treasure on the shelf finally. :P

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I got home with DL3D late last night, so I only had about 30 minutes to play with it. All I can say is WOW! I've never had a hi-def signal to my Hitachi 43UWX10b before (since I primarily use it for 480p DVD's and games), and was pleased to see it lock into 1080i/full widescreen when the game started up.

The graphics are just stunning. The beginning of the game when you're outside chugs a little because of how much is being drawn, but once you move inside it runs smooth as silk. This is really my first taste of hi-def at home, and I'm happier than Michael Jackson at the dermotologist! The audio is suitably retro as well. GOOD STUFF!

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
It's a 3d platform, which I'm typically not much into. The controls are pretty easy to learn and I haven't had much trouble with them in-game. So far it's a pretty good mixture of battles, puzzles, and searching for treasure (Daphne really doesn't like it when Dirk stops to pick up some treasure along the way to rescuing her ;) ). The fighting in battles is pretty simplistic, but Dirk can use mana to magically power-up his attacks. I haven't gotten very far yet, so I don't think I've seen much of his abilities.
I don't know how to say whether it's "good" or not :p If you like platform adventure games, you'd probably like this.

Dan Haffey

Auditioning
I picked up this game today and I am having a problem with 1080i. When in 1080i there are all these diagonal scan lines in the background. When I switch to 480p they aren't there. I tried removing all connections to tv except the xbox one and I still have the scan lines. I have 480p and 1080i enabled in the xbox control panel. I tried just having 1080i set and still have the lines. I know it is using 1080i b/c it locks it to full mode. I have a Toshiba 50H81 HDTV. I don't think there is anything I need to set on the tv. This is the first hi-def signal I have used with this set. Is there anyone else with a Toshiba that has this game and can provide some insight or anyone that has some suggestions? I would appreciate it b/c this game looks cool, but the scan lines are extremely distracting.
:frowning:
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks