What's new

Anyone try a flat hose? (1 Viewer)

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I've seen the ads and infomercials several times now, and I was wondering if anyone had tried one. I know there are at least two that they advertise. My wife seldom puts the hose away, and we've (meaning "she's") destroyed 3 hoses over the last 6 years through various means. This would be a great product if it works as seen on TV.

Danny R

Supporting Actor
If the fire department uses them, then they must work pretty well... right? After all, it says right there on the commercial that firemen use them. Commercials don't lie do they? ;)
Seriously, the only thing I'd worry about with a flat hose is that its probably some sort of woven material versus a continuous tube of plastic. Thus the water proof layer will be much thinner, and you'll absolutely have to bring it in rather than leave it out in the weather or you'll get a leaky hose that much faster.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
if you watch the commercial closely you can see the weave in the material, what the lining is I don't know, but I could swear I saw it leak in the ad on TV :)

Jesse Clift

Agent
I just saw one of these commercials and I can think of a possible problem with this type of hose. If the hose is partially rolled up in it's reel, the part of the hose within the reel might be wound too tightly to allow water to expand this part of the hose, thereby restricting water flow. If this does happen you may need to unroll the entire thing everytime you use it which could be a minor hassle. I've never seen or used one in real life so I don't know if this is really a problem or not.

-Jesse

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I know someone that purchased one of these hoses and was very disappointed. She said that, as Jesse feared, the entire length of the hose has to be unwound before it can be used. Very annoying! My friend also said that because of the mesh outer material, it gets wet and slimy and starts smelling. She says the plastic handle is cheap and started breaking the first time she used it and once the hose gets a kink in it, it does not return to normal.

No first hand experience but even if half of that stuff is true, its not worth it, IMHO.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
My roommate works for the BLM (bureau of land management) and is often working with firemen. He laughs when this commercial comes on because he claims firemen use these types of hoses because they are extremely transportable and extremely cheap to replace. He claims a fireman's hose could be replaced for less than the 20 or 30 dollars they are asking for in the commercial. For normal home use I think you would be better off with a more sturdy conventional hose. By no means is he a hose expert or something but he does know that fireman use those types of hoses for convenience and not durability.

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Scott,

My recommendation would be to avoid the "As Seen On TV" flat hose and buy yourself a good heavy duty hose and a hose reel with wheels. It makes putting the hose away much simpler - just crank on the handle! You can then wheel it where ever you might need it, no need for having multiple hoses laying around in the yard or driveway. Just my $0.02 ($53.98 Canadian)

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Well, for what it's worth, my grandmother bought that flat hose and seems to like it.

I want one, not for outdoor use, but for indoor. Filling & draining my fish tank is a pain with a regular hose. I bought one specifically for the tank - by only using it with the tank, the outside of the hose stays clean and thus keeps my carpet nice. However, it's a pain to roll up, it takes up a lot of room, etc. This flat hose would work great for that.

Yes, you have to unroll it completely before use, and you should store it indoors or in a shed. It's not a heavy duty hose made for dragging around the yard, through rosebushes, using for sprinklers, etc. It's a light duty thing that you roll/unroll quickly for watering things by hand and takes up very little room when stored. If you buy it with quick, light duty jobs in mind as my grandmother did, you shouldn't be disappointed.

Oscar W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oscar
On a pet message list I belong to. Sorry the link they sent doesn't work but here's the message.

> Those flat garden hoses they advertise on tv. Do not
get one if you plan to
> fill your dog's water bucket. In fact I wouldn't even
water my beloved plants
> with it.
> If the link doesn't work, the hose comes with a
warning:
> >>>>

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks