Anyone tried the Sony RM-AV2100 remote ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mats Kellberg, Sep 26, 2001.

1. Mats Kellberg

Hi,
    I'm wondering whether or not anyone here has used the Sony RM-AV2100 ?
    Is it any good ?
    I'd appreciate it if someone who has used it can give me a brief rundown of it's pros and cons.
    I want to use to control a TV-set, VCR, DVD and Receiver.
    I know I could probably use a non-LCD remote, but I like the idea of being able to name and sorting the buttons according to my own taste, as well as using macros.
    Thanx in advance
    /Mats Kellberg

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I bought the RM-AV2100 remote last year to go with a Sony STR-DB930 receiver, which I have since sold. The 'AV2100 is very large, which is both good and bad. It is a bit awkard to work with since it is bigger than your typical remotes. The biggest problem I had with the 'AV2100 was that it would not select "MD/DAT" as the source on the 'DB930 receiver. I called Sony about it, and they had me try to download commands from the 'DB930 remote to the 'AV2100, as I was trying the 'AV2100 out of the box initially. Downloading commands didn't help as the 'AV2100 still couldn't select MD/DAT on the receiver. In other words, I would push the MD/DAT button on the LCD remote, and nothing would happen on the receiver. Sony finally told me that the 'AV2100 might not be able to learn commands from the two-way LCD remotes that are supplied with its receivers. As a result of an incompatibility of a Sony "universal" remote with a Sony receiver, which I felt was inexcusable, I returned the remote for a refund.
    I later tried a Philips Pronto, but returned it as well. The Pronto is a very nice remote, but for me, it was more work than it was worth. I simply was not interested in searching the web for ppf's or creating my own. Given that I had all my remotes in front of me ready to use, I saw no reason to spend all sorts of time downloading/creating ppf's for the Pronto. My remotes are not that difficult to use. For all the time it would take to set up the Pronto, I could enjoy music and movies. That was my philosophy.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

3. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Mats,
    I bought and used the remote for about 6mths. I was able to program it to run all my gear(TV, VCR, DVD, Receiver) but never got into using the Macro's. The remote is big and bulky but that never bothered me. What did bother me was the fact that the pad itself is not illuminated which made finding the controls in the dark difficult. And the touch screen light would shut itself off after a set time no matter if you were using it. If you can pick it up used and cheap then its worth it. I sold mine a couple of weeks ago to help in purchasing my new AMP.
    Kevin

4. tommy_esq

tommy_esq Stunt Coordinator

I bought one of these about 6 months back. I found it on ecost.com for about $90, which is about half of what you'll find it for in stores. I use it to run a Sony receiver, Sony VCR, JVC DVD, Philips Tivo, and Panasonic 47WX49.
    I only use 1 Macro, and that is to turn the TV and receiver on with one push. Overall, I like the unit. True, it is big and bulky, but I think that adds to it's appeal. For what I spent on it, I am satisfied. However, if I had spent $180 on it I would feel like I got ripped off.

5. Rich Allen

Rich Allen Second Unit

Rich Allen
    Costco's got it on their website for $99. Might be worth it for that.

6. Ryan Patterson

Ryan Patterson Stunt Coordinator

I own the previous year's AV2000, and I've been quite happy with it. (I've had it for more than a year).
    You can get a lot of information about this remote and many others at www.remotecentral.com
    The main link to their review is here . There are also forums over there for individual users' comments.
    Hope this helps,
    Ryan
    [Edited last by Ryan Patterson on September 26, 2001 at 03:35 PM]

7. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Mats: I too have been using a 2100 for almost a year. I agree with most of what the others have said. The remote is a bit on the large size, but it is a very cool looking gadget. It has worked pretty well in my nearly all Sony system. The macros are cool and it has a strong infrared reach. Battery life is very good.
    The 3 things I'd say that you should check out are:
    1. Find one at a dealer and check out the size issue. This is something that reading alone can't help you with.
    2. The number of available touchscreen key labels is limited a bit. Again, explore this and see if you have the labels you need for your system.
    3. In my case (and many others) I needed to use the backlight almost everytime I use it. Since it must be turned on manually, is this an issue for you ??
    If these issues work out ok for you and after checking out Remote Central's 2100 info (including the detailed review Ryan lists) then you may find the 2100 is the remote for you...
    ------------------

8. Mats Kellberg

Thank you very much for your inputs, having read through your opinions I realize I'll have to go to a dealer and check it out regarding size and screen before making my decision.
    /Mats

9. richard plumb

richard plumb Stunt Coordinator

check out the pronto at the same time. www.remotecentral.com has reviews and a lot of community support for that remote.
    I have one and I find it invaluable. It is backlit, and you can customise it via PC. You can also add graphical elements such as channel logos, so you aren't limited by a preselected set of labels as you are with the 2100.

10. Mike Burke

Mike Burke Stunt Coordinator

I have had my 2000 series for almost 2 years now and have almost NO complaints about it!!! I originally wanted so that I could have a simple universal remote that my fiance and her kids could use. My then existing Denon remote would be tricky for a novice!
    PROS: Cool looking screen, easy to manuever around, the macro's are neat to use. I have all 3 pre-programmed. #3 actually shuts off the receiver and DVD player then corrects the TV input to cable and goes right to ESPN!! Now this is a man toy!..lol
    CONS: Limited storage if you are NOT using lots of Sony equipment!!! 2 of my 5 components are Sony so I am fine but when it was only 1 Sony piece there was not enough space!
    I think for the price, it performs excellently!!!!
    Mike

11. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

To my knowledge, the 2100 has a fair amount more memory than the original 2000. I didn't take the time to look but I think that Mr Tonks touches on the amount of memory in his Remote Central review.
    ------------------

12. GregoriusM

GregoriusM Second Unit

I would be remiss if I didn't mention checking out the HTM MX-500 reviewed here on Remote Central. It can be found on sale for as little as $118.95 at SurfRemoteControl.com (no affiliation..... I just happen to know it's on sale there)
    So much easier to use than the 2100. Easier to see. Full backlighting. Read the review!
    Check it out.
    ... Greg
    ------------------
    .... "just me up on my pony on my boat".