Anyone tried the PartsExpress Woofer Tester 2 (WT2)

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Rob Formica, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Rob Formica

Rob Formica Stunt Coordinator

Inaccuracies/variances in published T/S parameters has always bothered me... and I have thought about building myself a testing rig.

I just noticed that PartsExpress sells a pre-packaged kit... not cheap but interesting all the same. Has anyone tried it? I must not have been paying attention... as it name "2" would mean these have been around for a while.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...25&rak=390-802

Otherwise, any links to a DIY set-up that doesn't require expensive equipment like a scope?
    Rob

2. Dan Wesnor

Dan Wesnor Second Unit

Mine should get here tomorrow. You can make some probes with about $20 of stuff from Radio Shack and use Speaker Workshop (free) to get T/S. FWIW, even though T/S can vary a lot from the specs, most of the time the woofer performs close to what the manufacturers numbers say. Also, the T/S specs for a woofer will measure differently depending on a lot of things, such as voice coil temp, barometric pressure, etc. I have a Morel woofer that's different every time I measure it.

3. Rob Formica

Rob Formica Stunt Coordinator

You are probably right... but I guess i'm curious for the same reason you measure your T/S... to be able to more accurately model the enclosure. [​IMG]

Let us know whay you think...
    Rob