Anyone tried sunless tanning lotion?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Tim Hoover, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Well, first off, I'm as white as a white guy can get. Fair complexion, red hair, you know the type. I'm tired of looking like I just stepped off the embalmer's table and thought I'd try some sunless tanning lotion. Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with these products, and perhaps a recommendation?

2. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Be careful, the cheap stuff will turn you orange. It will make you look like the smurfs photo negative, especially w red hair!

3. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I've never done it, but a lot of women I know recommend Mystic Tan. You have to get it at a salon type place (it's not a real tan, don't worry) because they spray the stuff on you in a fine mist. I guess it works really well because it gets on you really evenly with no streaking or anything. Also, I think it lasts a bit longer than the stuff you pick up at the store. I think it's around $30, so if that isn't too much, it may work for you.

4. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

5. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

Actually, I work in the skin care industry, so I know a bit about these products. As such, I can open my bookmarks and point you right to this article... if you feel like reading personal care industry trade rags.

Virtually all the self-tanners today, use the active ingredient "Dihydroxyacetone" (DHA). DHA is very effective and yields a fairly natural color ... not the orange skin of the past. Most mfrs vary the level of DHA in "dark" vs. "light/medium" product variations.

DHA has a characteristic odor & odor masking is something all the major mfrs. try to achieve, with varying levels of success. The new Coppertone Faces is among the best and has virtually no residual odor. It also contains Retinol (Vitamin A based anti wrinkle ingredient ... a nice addition)

Other than that, they all work about the same, so don't pay for a premium salon brand. What you have to decide is delivery vehicle (i.e. lotion/spray/foam) and other added ingredients, such as sunscreens and pigments to ensure coverage. Many (such as Ban de Soleil) come with a "streakguard" pigment to help you achieve even coverage.

First decide if you just want to "tan" your face & forearms, or are you going for "all the real estate". For full body coverage, many people prefer the liquid sprays, such as Neutrogena Sunless Tanning Spray, medium, we have found this to be very natural looking and very easy to apply, but the Neutrogena prods have some residual DHA odor.

After you apply, give it about 15 minutes to dry before putting your shirt on ... otherwise you'll have Tan-around-the-collar.

Happy tanning ....

6. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Thanks to everyone for the insight and suggestions - especially Scott for the article. I'll probably go with a spray product so my hands don't turn brown... I think I'll give the Neutrogena a shot.

7. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

8. Scott Bourden

Scott Bourden Second Unit

I work in a drug store, and see the sunless tanners come and go. (and can verify they are sunless tanner users, I was the one who often times sold them the product)

The cheaper brands turn you orange, a horrible sickly orange.

Even some (most, in my experience) of the more expensive brands, while not a direct shade of orange, look horribly, horribly fake. To me, this always looks very unattractive, I'd personally go as far as to say ugly, but this is just my opinion.

I have yet to see a sunless tanning solution with results that I'd consider close to the real thing.

That is, unless there are a couple on the market that are so good I cannot tell the difference, in which case, kudos to the tricky buggers [​IMG]

9. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

10. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

Yesterday, I was at the drug store and saw the Neutrogena spray on the shelf. Out of curiosity, I bought a bottle and tried it out. It had absolutely no effect on me. I followed the instructions precisely. One question - when I sprayed it on, the liquid was clear. I figured it would be brown/tan in color. Does it sound like I may have gotten a bad bottle?

11. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

No, the liquid doesn't need to be tan/brown/orange, because it's not dyeing your skin. It has a chemical that your skin will react to.

Matt

12. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

The clear liquid is normal. I suppose the DHA could lose some efficacy if the bottle has been sitting around for a few years, but thats not likely from a typical chain store.

Be aware that it typically takes 1-3 hours after application for the color to "develop". If you apply in the morning, it may be nearly midday before you see the full effect. Also you said Neutrogena brand ... did you choose the "light", "medium" or "dark" ... there is a difference and the "light" has quite a mild effect.

People typically use sunless tanners every day for the 1st few days, then every other. A DHA "tan" will fade in 2-3 days.

Scott

13. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

I got the medium. I'll give it a few days and then maybe try the dark. I have light skin but I respond well to sunlight (I don't go straight from pale to sunburn).. Maybe I'm just DHA-resistant. [​IMG]

I got the stuff for your face, too. that seems to have worked a little bit, it comes in the form of a creme. The spray stuff for the body hasn't worked at all for me, though. I applied it last evening. I'll try re-applying a couple of times over the next 2 days and then switch to dark if still no go.