What's new

Anyone tried replacing the SVS driver before? (1 Viewer)

JauCheeze

Stunt Coordinator
I don't own a SVS(I would love to), but just out of curiosity. Have anybody tried replacing the SVS pc or pc+ drivers with some top quality car audio subwoofer? For example replacing it with a kappa perfect, polk audio momo, JL etc.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Those drivers would all be a downgrade from the TC Sounds
built drivers that SVS uses..

Here's a picture of my AV-12 (Built by TC Sounds for John
Janowitz of Stryke Audio)

There isn't a raw driver that can compare in the car audio
world for what I paid ($140.00)

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
And here is a picture of the SVS TV-12 Sub used in the CS
Ultra Series Tubes..

Honestly... You would be hard pressed to find any resonably
priced "car" driver that would compete.

A

Anthony_Gomez

Agreed. I think SVS has the best driver for their current setup. I'm sure that they would put a different driver in there if one would work better while costing around the same...which won't happen :D

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
James,

About 26 pounds :) It's no Tumult mind you.. But it wasn't
$350.00 either! heh... Still who can argue with 23mm one
way linear X-Max and an FS of 19Hz :)

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Even in another setup the SVS is probably way better than a "top quality" car driver... What's the state of the art in car audio nowadays, anyway?

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Mike,

Top of the line in car audio is the Adire Brahma which I
believe holds the record at 170.6DB in a van.

JL's massive W7 isn't even close...

Chris James

Stunt Coordinator
Brett, that is not very accurate. The JL w7 series is "top of the line" as of right now in car audio. It has the best spider made, superb suspension, and great SQ. The Brahma is nipping at its heels though, as are a few others. Brahma's nice part is the cost, which is significantly less than the w7s. I'd consider the Brahma series to be the best as its price point, by far.

Also, SPL numbers do not mean a thing. Nate Munson hit 170+ with a single 10" Digital Designs sub. That is equal to what Scottie hit with the 9 Brahma 15"s. SPL numbers are dependant on the class. Extreme classes can score much higher than Street classes....i.e. Nate and Scottie's numbers.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Sure 170Db from one 10" I guess that was measures with a
TemPro mic (80Db High) tuned at 120Hz... LinearX would never
measure that high and a 10" does not have the sheer displacement
to reach 170DB not one, not 4....

The W7 is a good sub.. I don't think it's the best but that
is of course just my opinion.

Joel~Solid

Agent
Don't forget about the Image Dynamics IDMAX subs. They hold there own with JL W7s for SPL and have better SQ.

Joel

Chris James

Stunt Coordinator
Brett, one 10" sub can reach 170 in an Extreme vehicle. It has been done, and Nate enters the same competitions that Scottie does. Without a Termpro that is "80dB high" and tuned to 120Hz. I'm not going to argue this, people can go findout for themselves if they disagree with what I said.

Andrew S

Stunt Coordinator
Brett, that is not very accurate. The JL w7 series is "top of the line" as of right now in car audio. It has the best spider made, superb suspension, and great SQ. The Brahma is nipping at its heels though, as are a few others. Brahma's nice part is the cost, which is significantly less than the w7s. I'd consider the Brahma series to be the best as its price point, by far.
I visit car audio forums daily and you've just summed up my understanding of the current "Displacement/Driver Wars". :emoji_thumbsup:

Other car audio drivers that deserve recognition from what I gather are the Elemental Designs A Series, which isanother internet only brand.

Just my opinion,
Andrew

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Chris,

Not arguing.. Just stating the facts.. Why don't you
enlighten me as to Nate's vehicle cabin dimensions and his
enclosure? There is no way to circumvent the laws of physics
as I know them yet.. And a 10" can't displace enough air to
acheive those Db levels, unless it's in a very small space
(fish tank on wheels?) that's why I want more details.

But that's okay I chat on the net with someone that knows
Nate and has competed in the class I guess I will ask him
for more details.

Chris James

Stunt Coordinator
Brett, that's the beauty of the different classes in SPL competition. Solid diamond plate interiors that hardly resemble a normal vehicle can do wonders for SPL. That's why guys like Scottie Johnson (minivan with 9 Brahma 15"s and 72,000 watts) can hit the same numbers as Nate Munson (10" DD sub and 5000 watts), or others with one and two subwoofers. Hell, Scottie's van doesn't even have seats!

Nate ran one Digital Designs 9510 sub with two Viper 2500 amps. The best certified score on that setup was 169.8dB.

Look on www.termpro.com and check out both of their vehicles....pretty impressive seeing a wall of Brahmas! By the way, I own a Brahma 12, and it's wonderful.

Andrew S

Stunt Coordinator
There are plenty of W7 vs. Brahma threads out there that usually end up in a flame war. I don't think I've read through a WHOLE one yet, but the general idea from what I understand is that the W7 IS the superior driver, but the Brahma holds its own against it at a much lower price. There are also people who favour the Brahma over the W7 as well as others who wouldn't even consider a Brahma if a W7 were available.
Here's a vs. thread.
W7 worth the extra money over Brahma?
Andrew

Chris James

Stunt Coordinator
That's why I automatically cut off any argument between me and Brett. Those types of threads ALWAYS end up in a flame war. And Brett, I didn't assume you were going to start one, I've just become very precautious about certain thread topics. I think what people don't understand is that with 1,000 watts, these "super-subs" are all pretty damn close to each other.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Does anyone bother measuring or equalizing frequency response in their car subs? I mean, wouldn't the variations due to installation and enclosures totally swamp any differences from the actual drivers? And since the SPL gain is silly, does linearity really matter? I am having trouble understanding the world of car audio...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks